Positive discrimination and job seeking.?

Ok. So, i'm 22, white, female, live in London, educated to degree level, have good work experience blah blah blah and am looking for work. The industries im interested in (arts and heritage) are, to be honest, most highly populated by white middle-class female grads such as myself. Looking at application forms and... show more Ok. So, i'm 22, white, female, live in London, educated to degree level, have good work experience blah blah blah and am looking for work. The industries im interested in (arts and heritage) are, to be honest, most highly populated by white middle-class female grads such as myself. Looking at application forms and researching online, im finding a level of positive discrimination might be lingering. For instance, i've seen statements twice saying that people with a disability will automatically get an interview and all applications i've seen so far state that they particularly welcome candidates from ethnic backgrounds. I can never know if im at a disadvantage and fully except that other applications might be stronger then mine but my question is, in an industry that is full of the likes of me, is it fair that people with a disability/from other ethnic backgrounds get preferential treatment in this? Please tell me your honest opinions. I personally think that EVERYONE regardless of colour, creed, disability, sex, age should get an equal shot at job applications but i'm torn because maybe i have had it easier in terms of education etc. thus far. Please be honest with your thoughts experiences. Im just trying to understand more. Many thanks.
5 answers 5