to dispute my credit report can i just send a letter stating that i dispute all items listed on my credit ?

report and i would like to have them looked into....there is always something incorrect and due to this i am not even able to req a copy of the credit report. so i would this type of letter work?

Best Answer

It is not that simple to do. You can no just state you dispute all entries and think they are going to spend time and money contacting all of your creditors to validate the debt.

They (the CRA's) have a set way of disputing entries as listed in the FCRA. You have to dispute each entry and explain why you are disputing (debt not mine, incorrect amount, I paid allready!)

Here is a sample letter:

Date

Your Name

Your Address

Your City, State, Zip Code

Complaint Department

Name of Company (experian, equifax, trans-union)

Address

City, State, Zip Code

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. The items I dispute also are circled on the attached copy of the report I received.

This item (identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors or tax court, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.) is (inaccurate or incomplete) because (describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why). I am requesting that the item be deleted (or request another specific change) to correct the information.

Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed documentation, such as payment records and court documents) supporting my position. Please investigate this (these) matter(s) and (delete or correct) the disputed item(s) as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Your name

Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing)

You will need copies of your credit report to highlight the items in dispute.

Hope this is of help to you.

• OC1999

No, when you dispute an item you must do it individually. You can include multiple items on one dispute, but you must give detail of each one individually as to the reason of the dispute. If you do a blanket dispute it will be considered "frivolous" and they do not have to abide by any of the regular guidelines for disputes. In fact it may make it harder in the future to dispute legitimate items because of this frivolous dispute.

How did you request your Credit Report. If you tried it on-line very often mistakes can keep you from getting it. However, you can receive it through the mail by sending in a request. Below is the link from http://www.annualcreditreport.com for requesting it through the mail.

Use the dispute letter available from the credit bureau (download it from their websites) and enter account specific information. If you just send a letter to dispute everything I doubt they'll do it.

• CatDad

NO! Don't request disputes for all items at once....do it one at a time...

Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act you have the right to request written validation of negative entries on your credit files. Per this law they must validate the item(s) or remove them from your credit file.

Mail a letter via certified mail with return receipt to all three credit bureaus (Equifax, TransUnion & Experian). Include a photocopy of your driver's license and social security card...If you don't include these, they may write back requesting them, which would slow the process down by several weeks. In your letter, simply state:

Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, I am requesting written validation of this item.

------------------------------------------

Do this one at a time for each negative entry....DO NOT request validation for all items at one time.

They must either validate the item(s) or remove it....Note: the entire process might take at 1-2 months...it's never fast....

If you do a blanket dispute, the credit bureaus will tag you and it will be even more difficult to get errors corrected. You need to list specific errors individually. Don't try to get legitimate items removed.

I would request only the ones you know are bogus to be removed. But to do that you need to show that the bill has been paid or was not you that made the purchase to begin with.You have to have some reason for them to consider removing it. They will take that information and confront the company claiming the debt.Keep your requests legit or you will lose your credibility.

Source(s): Personal experience
  • rtfm

You should *always* be able to request a copy of your own credit report. What do you mean, you are not able to? What happens when you try? Who is telling you that you can't?

No, you need to do each item. I think you can send up to 10 disputed items.

They will send you another report once they make those changes.

Then you can make more changes.

Nothing in life is easy. :)

• Lisa

Yeah you need to remember to dispute each item individually and be sure to send it in certified mail

Yes, you can. But remember to include something stating that the ycan only contact you via mail because telephone calls are inconveniennt. Also, send certified return receipt. The likelyhood of them cooperating with you is remote unless it's NCO. You want that green Return Receipt card to prove that they received your correspondences!

Source(s): creditboards.com