Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why did Obama lie in a campaign ad about McCain being oppsosed to stem cell research, when he supports it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20080923/pl_mccl...

“Stem-cell research has the potential to give us a better understanding of deadly diseases and spinal cord injuries affecting millions of Americans,” McCain said in April 2007 as he voted to support federal financing.

In 2004, he was one of 14 Republicans who signed a letter to Bush urging him to lift restrictions on the research, which they said had the potential “to treat and better understand deadly and disabling diseases and conditions that affect more than 100 million Americans, such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury and many others.”

“The fact is John McCain has been a champion for stem-cell research, which holds the promise of curing devastating diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart disease,” Sen. Arlen Specter , R- Pa. , said Tuesday.

“John McCain bucked the majority of our party in standing strong with me in urging the Bush administration to lift restrictions on stem-cell research, and last year voted to overturn the Bush policy.”

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Rayne
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Obama needed something new to feed his followers so that they could repeat his words like squawking parrots (knowing that they don't look for the FACTS)

It worked...Even on YA today, the libs are regurgitating this lie...Just look at the questions they're asking...It only shows that they know absolutely nothing about the stances of the candidates...It's so easy to look into these things, I don't understand why they refuse to be informed

Apparently even OBAMA is unaware of the progress that we've made in stem cell research...We do NOT need to detroy fetuses to obtain stem cells anymore (in fact, we've been past that for almost 3 years now)...We have found much better methods that have given us superior results

To assume that someone who is pro-life must be against stem cell research, makes absolutely no sense when you are AWARE that no fetuses will be harmed

Obama should have been better educated on this subject before he made such assumptions.

• 1 decade ago

The Big Lie is a propaganda technique. It was defined by Adolf Hitler in his 1925 autobiography Mein Kampf as a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously".

keep repeating it often and loud enough and people will believe anything...

this has become the mantra of modern politics.. the truth is irrelevant... all that matters is that you keep to the SAME message until people believe it.

• 4 years ago

I'm delighted. I think stem cell research has the largest potential for real break-throughs in dozens of important areas, and the idea that it is better to throw away unwanted embryos rather than use them is hypocritical in the extreme.

• 1 decade ago

This is from McCain's own site.

"Senator McCain voted to ban the practice of "fetal farming," making it a federal crime for researchers to use cells or fetal tissue from an embryo created for research purposes. Furthermore, he voted to ban attempts to use or obtain human cells gestated in animals. Finally, John McCain strongly opposes human cloning and voted to ban the practice, and any related experimentation, under federal law."

The only stem cell research McCain supports is research that does not use embryos, only amniotic fluid and adult stem cell.

So I don't think John McCain supports stem cell research either.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I saw Obama the other day on TV telling people that he did not ask for any earmark money.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because he is altering his stand to appease his more conservative supporters though I think he would make a rational decision, however Palin is absolutely opposed to stem-cell research.

• 1 decade ago

Hmm. You seem to be right about this one. Although he certainly selected a VP that is against stem cell research.

So, penalty against Obama.

however, the lies and push polling that's been going on out of the McCain campaign office is far nastier and more overt lying. For instance- the ad about Obama wanting comprehensive sex ed for kindergarteners? get real.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's a good question. I thought Obama could win without having to resort to lies himself. There are more than enough terrible things about McCain's voting record, you don't have to lie about it to make people oppose him.

But McCain did say he thinks life begins at conception at that forum. So it's kind of incongruous for him to say that, and be against abortion even in cases of rape and incest, but be totally cool with stem cell research.

• 1 decade ago

To try and scare up some more votes.

• 1 decade ago

John McCain is also pro-choice, just not while he is campaigning for the presidency

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.