Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

I have a male chinchilla who needs a friend. Will he be social with other animals?

I want to get my chinchilla a friend because I think he gets a little lonely in his cage. We socialize with him regularly but he still seems bored a lot. I was wondering if getting him another rodent friend would be a good idea. I don't have enough money to get another chinchilla but maybe a rat or a gerbil or something? I just don't know how well he would get along with an animal of a different species in his cage.

Also, does anyone have any ideas about toys I can give him? We get him wood chews and he has a few other things but he doesn't seem to care about any of them except the wood chews. Do they like wheels, or tubes they can crawl through?

Thanks for your help

• Vee
    Favorite Answer

Another chinchilla is your only option. Another male would be best. Yes, you can expect some fighting, but this is only to establish dominance and should stop once it has been established.

No, you can not get a rat, gerbil, hamster, rabbit, or anything else to keep with a chinchilla. These animals all require different diets. Chinchillas have a tendency on bullying smaller rodents. They also nibble and chew things to see what it is. They would only do this to the other animal, possibly injuring them.

A metal flying saucer would be the best thing to get, instead of a wheel. However, these can be pretty expensive. If you were to buy a wheel it would need to be made of metal with a solid bottom, no plastic, bars, or wire mesh. Yes, they love tubes. A large one made from cardboard would be ideal. Chinchillas also love to destroy stuff. Some ideas include...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productI...

(You would have to remove the nut once he got it open.)

Do not offer your chinchilla anything made from plastic, as it would only be chewed and can block his digestive track, possibly killing him.

I wouldn't recommend getting the chinchilla a friend because they have a tendency of fighting with other chins. And don't house them with another type of rodent because there could be weird diseases that can be transmitted, not to mention that all most rodents require different diets, especially the larger rodent pets such as chins, guinea pigs, rats, etc. It's just not a good idea to mix rodents.

Also, there is something called a Flying Saucer that a lot of pet stores carry that's similar to a wheel but chins like these a lot more than the wheels.

Below are some links for the toys the chins at my pet store like and a link for the flying saucer.