Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

What does it mean when a horse gets cast?

Sorry if i used it in incorrect context but I don't know what it is so....lol :]

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It means that the horse has gone down in its stall and is in a position where it can't get its feet under it to get up. Usually happens when the horse rolls too close to a wall of the stall, but it can happen if the horse gets a leg or legs under a divider, if the stall uses rail dividers instead of solid walls, or if the horse gets his head or neck under a divider or door.

The danger is that the horse can panic and flail around trying to get up, and hurt itself. I've seen horses get cast half a dozen times, and fortunately none was seriously hurt, although one got scraped up pretty good on the legs.

You deal with a cast horse by moving him so he can get up. The easiest way to do this is to use a big, soft cotton rope, which you wrap around a leg and use to pull the horse over. Sometimes, depending on the horse's position and the way he is cast, you can grab the tail and pull him around. You make sure that you stay out of the way when you pull the horse around, because unless he's totally exhausted (which can happen, if he's been cast all night and has been struggling for hours) he's usually going to scramble up and lunge to his feet in a complete panic, and if you happen to be where he wants to put his feet or where he jumps when he gets up, you're going to get hurt.

This website has a diagram that shows what a cast horse can look like: http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articl...

These websites give some info:

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/health/first...

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/casthorse.ht...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

A horse is cast when it is stuck somewhere and cannot get up. This can happen for instance if a horse rolls in a stall and is too close to the wall, or out in a field by a fence (same scenario), etc. It can be a bad situation if the horse panics, and as horses cannot lay down for too long because of health issues that arise from the weight of their own bodies on their internal organs and tissues, if the horse is not found right away other problems may come up.

One preventative tool is a board along the wall, perhaps two, at a height of a few feet off the ground, or perhaps at two and four. This will give a horse something to brace against to push off of instead of having his hooves slide uselessly up the wall.

• 1 decade ago

I work at a racing stable and find that the horses that get cast are the young ones that haven't been in a stable environment for very long. The older horses get stuck sometimes but mostly they are pretty good to get back up, I had a gelding get himself cast as I walked in with his feed bucket. He was sort of looking at me like "um...little help?" Because he was quiet I grabbed the front leg against the wall and pulled him over and he got up real quiet and went to his feeder.

Sometimes they can wedge themself in the corner and it takes four of us to get them up. Another one I've had cast against the door, when I opened it his back legs fell out. It can be dangerous to both horse and human, horses can take a lot of skin off when they struggle.

Most of our horses though, kick the wall to get attention and then relax when they see someone come into the box. If it's going to involve a few people to get the horse up (big stallion, real awkward position etc) we'll call out "horse cast" and then stay at the horse's head. A horse can get a lot of reassurence from you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A cast horse just means a horse in a situation where it is lying down and unable to get up (to my knowledge).

For example... Lying down in a stall that's too small, somehow getting stuck underneath a fence, rolling up against a wall/fence/etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does it mean when a horse gets cast?

Sorry if i used it in incorrect context but I don't know what it is so....lol :]

Source(s): horse cast: https://bitly.im/P3fVz
  • Greg B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The means the horse has laid down in the stall and rolled over such that its legs are shoved up against the wall. He can't get his legs under him and therefore can't get up. Sometimes to help a horse in this situation, you need to put ropes on his legs and roll him back over away from the wall so that he can get up on his own. It can be dangerous if the horse starts to thrash and hurt himself.

• 6 years ago

We found our horse cast under a scrub tree. Tried to move him and he died as we were working him. Totally unexpected. Had no indication he was in that kind of trouble. Sad

• 1 decade ago

it gets stuck on its back or side and cant get up by itself, hence why most people use "banks" of bedding up the wall of the stable, it prevents a horse beccoming cast.

you can also get a anti-cast roller but dont see these used so much these days.

• 1 decade ago

like most others said... when a horse falls and cant get up.. like when their legs are stuck somehow

• 1 decade ago

When it's legs get stuck against the wall and it can't move

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.