Does antimatter exist?

If it does exist, where can I go to see it with my own eyes?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The positively charged antimatter sub-atomic particle called the "positron" does exist. It's been created and it's effects have been observed (for a very short period of time) thanks to some of the particle accelerators on the earth. It's like an electron, only it has a positive charge. I doubt there are any antimatter sources anywhere near enough to us, or massive enough, to be seen with the human eye, though.

• foh
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Does Antimatter Exist

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/l9fVQ

The existence of antimatter was first predicted in 1928 by Paul Dirac and has been experimentally verified by the artificial creation of the positron (e+) in a laboratory in 1933. The positron, the electron's antiparticle, carries a positive electrical charge. Not unlike the reflection in a mirror, there is exactly one antimatter particle for each known particle and they behave just like their corresponding matter particles, except they have opposite charges and/or spins. When a matter particle and antimatter particle meet, they annihilate each other into a flash of energy. The universe we can observe contains almost no antimatter. Therefore, antimatter particles are likely to meet their fate and collide with matter particles. Recent research suggests that the symmetry between matter and antimatter is less than perfect. Scientists have observed a phenomenon called charge/parity violation, which implies that antimatter presents not quite the reflection image of matter.

• OK peeps... anti-matter exists and constitutes exotic particles that are opposites of the commonly known particles in the atom. For example... electron positron anti particles which differ by the flavor of quarks that are paired within the electron or positron. Also proton and anti-proton which also differ by the paired flavors of quarks. The problem with antimatter is how do you contain it to actually be able to inspect it. Current theories and experiments use a couple different designs one being a magnetic bottle that shrouds the antimatter so that it is contained in a way that it will not touch any ordinary matter. If it does it will annihilate with the ordinary matter and create a vast amount of energy.

Where can you find anti-matter?

A lot of it resides at the center of our galaxy and is created primarily by the super massive black hole residing at the center of the Milky Way. Antimatter production is created in close proximity of the event horizon when in-falling mass is broken down violently.

Hope that helps!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Debra
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Nobody really knows, but they know that at least, at some point, anti-matter must have existed immediately after the big bang. They also know that all the matter in the universe is not enough mass for the universe to be expanding. Thus, they sort of assumed that that was the source of the other matter. As to why antimatter and matter can exist at once, I'm not sure if anyone knows.

• 1 decade ago

All matter is made up of sub atomic particles such as protons , neutrons and electrons.

Each of these particles have their anti particles. It does not appear that there are anti matter stars of planets. It is a mystery why there is not just as much anti matter as regular matter.

In 1995 CERN announced that it had successfully created nine antihydrogen atoms. In late 2002 the ATHENA project announced that they had created the world's first "cold" antihydrogen.

Antihydrogen can be produced by mixing cold plasmas of antiprotons and positrons in a particle trap. But antimatter can be produced in tiny quantities, only. At present up to 100,000 antihydrogen atoms can be detected per hour. This is about 0,2 Attogramm (=0,0000000000000000002 g).

A small number of nuclei of the antihelium isotope, have been created in collision experiments.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does antimatter exist?

If it does exist, where can I go to see it with my own eyes?

Source(s): antimatter exist: https://shortly.im/z3UgF
  • 1 decade ago

Anti-particles exist .. big 'clumps' that might be called 'matter' do not ...

We can make anti-participles in our particle accelerators. To 'see' them go to CERN ..

As for anti-matter just 'floating around'.. the mystery is why we DON'T see massive amounts of it .. at the time of the big-bang matter and anti-matter should have been created in equal amounts (and thus all the matter would cancel itself out and the Universe would consist of energy only)... however (as far as we can detect) no anti-matter exists any more .. It's just possible that 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy' hold clues as to where all the anti-matter has gone ..

PS I don't think you can ever 'see' anti-matter with your own eyes ..

First the anti-matter would have to be kept behind some very high intensity magnetic fields to stop it (and you) annihilating one another (i.e. in a big un-solid box) and light (photons) illuminating (impacting) anti-matter is not reflected ('bounced off') in the same way :-)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sure does. Just go to the hospital and get a PET scan (positron emission tomography) and you will be using antimatter.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It does exist and has been produced in very very small quantities (a few atoms in particle accelerators). You will not be able to see it with your own eyes. That does not mean it does not exist however.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.