what kind of gun should i get for white tail hunting?

i shoot a .260 bolt-action remington. I've shot every type of gun from a .243 to a 7mm. stw. i would really love to get a 7mm stw but they dont make those anymore. that gun would drop a deer from at leats 375 yards easily. i want a high powered rifle, because i like to watch the deer cut flips, and i hate tracking. i dont want a gun like a .270.

yea i could get a 300 ultra mag and carry my 260 too. when he walks out about 300 yards away ill get the 300 and when he comes out any closer than that, ill get the 260 so i want blow the deer to pieces. lol

unless i fork out 1600 dollars i cant get an 7mm stw and it aint nothing like the stw, you cant replace it

Favorite Answer

7mm remington ultra mag. At 300 yards it has 24% more energy than a 7mm remington mag, 18% more energy than a 7mm weatherby mag, and 12% more energy than 7mm STW (from the book Cartridges of the World)

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerf... MSRP of $620, you can probably get it for $575

add $100 and get a stainless steel all weather version

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerf...

NOTE: This isn't what I would recommend for most people. I really think you should consider a 30-06 or a regular 7mm remington magnum, BUT, it is up to you, and if you truely are looking for something like the 7mm STW, the the 7mm ultra mag fits the bill power wise and price wise

The 30-.30 is only accurate up to around a hundred yards. I wouldn't recommend it.

I like the 300 Winchester Short Mag.

It recoils slightly less and has slightly better ballistics than the 300 Winchester Mag. Though it is probably not as powerful as the 300 ultra mag. The bullets on those guns are expensive, though, and more difficult to find than the 30-06.

The 30-06 is the most common deer rifle. It is all around great, but the ballistics aren't as good as the 300 mag or 7mm mag flavors of guns.

I shoot in the west and we are good spotters. I have spotted deer from over five hundred yards away. The shortest shot I have ever taken at a deer has been 200 yards.

But if you are in thick trees and you for sure can't see past 100 yards and if you are sure you will never go hunting anywhere else then a 30-.30 is fine. I would go with a 300 magnum myself, though.

Source(s): Also, check to see if it is legal in the state you will be shooting to carry two guns. I believe in Idaho, where I hunt, you can only legally carry one.

If you want 7mm STW, then get one. Clymer hasn't gone anywhere, so chamber reamers aren't an impossibility. The RUM seems to have taken its spot, and would be an easy alternative.

I can't say, though, that I can condone the idea of planning to shoot at an unwounded deer in the next county.

The flips, drops, and whether you have to track, by the way, have almost nothing to do with the magnum velocities. If you're using anything truly adequate, it's the specifics of the wound channel that produce the results, not the numbers in the ballistic table.

The vast majority of big and small game is harvested within 100 yards or less.* Magnums are totally unnecessary for this reason.* The 30-06 has harvested more Deer than any other caliber except for the 30-30 Winchester.* It will harvest any game in North America cleanly, and efficiently.* It has been doing just that since 1906.* You have a greater variety of bullet weights to choose from with the 30-06, from varmints to big game.*

Source(s): Run like a Deer.*..........Fly like an Eagle.*~~

if you want to turn em a flip then go with a 30 06 or 300 Ultra Mag you can do it out to around 500 yards

Get a 30-06. I love mine! Plenty of Rifle to hunt pretty much anything in north america. Plus you can get 30-06 ammo everywhere it's common.

get a 30-30 nothing will go wrong i been hunitng with mine for almost 27 years killed a lot of deer