Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 1 decade ago

Where is the United States Continental Divide?

"Where is the United States Continental Divide" i need help plezzzzzzzzzzz its important :]]]]]]]]]]]

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

See the link below for an Wikipedia article on continental divides. Actually, there are several in North America. However, I suspect that you're referring to the Great Divide, a part of which runs along the crest of the Rocky Mountains.

From the article:

"North America can claim four or five continental divides, depending on how drainage basins are categorized:

"The Great Divide, also called the Continental Divide, separates the watersheds of the Pacific Ocean from those of the Atlantic or Arctic Oceans. It runs from the Seward Peninsula in Alaska, through western Canada along the crest of the Rocky Mountains to New Mexico. From there, it follows the crest of Mexico's Sierra Madre Occidental and extends to the tip of South America. It is crossed by the Panama Canal."

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The Continental Divide of the Americas, or merely the Continental Gulf of Division or Great Divide, is the name given to the principal, and largely mountainous, hydrological divide of the Americas that separates the watersheds that drain into the Pacific Ocean from (1) those river systems that drain into the Atlantic Ocean (including those that drain into the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea), and (2) along the northernmost reaches of the Divide, those river systems that drain into the Arctic Ocean. I believe if it falls west it would end up in the Pacific Ocean. What do you think?

• 1 decade ago

The Great Divide (continental divide) runs mainly through the top ridges of the Rocky Mountains.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

part of it is in Yellowstone National Park, I saw it last year.

it's a long line running roughly N and S.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.