Deer hunting with an AR-15 rifle?

I am planning to go deer hunting this November. I have successfully completed and passed the Texas Hunter's Education Program. I am buying my Resident Hunter's License and Annual Public Hunting permit soon. I have also scheduled an annual hunting lease for $800 on a rancher's property 45 miles outside of Austin,... show more I am planning to go deer hunting this November. I have successfully completed and passed the Texas Hunter's Education Program. I am buying my Resident Hunter's License and Annual Public Hunting permit soon. I have also scheduled an annual hunting lease for $800 on a rancher's property 45 miles outside of Austin, Texas.
I own several guns at home, I now have a Bushmaster AR-15, a Century Arms Galil rifle, a Bulgarian AK-47, a Rossi .38 special revolver, a Colt 1911 .45 pistol, and a 1895 Nagant revolver. The most accurate gun of my collection is my AR-15 and I enjoy taking it to the range every weekend.
I spoke with the Game Warden and hunting with an AR-15 is legal here in the state of Texas. My rifle is equipped with a great telescope and bullet drop compensator and I also own a laser rangefinder to help me calculate the distance to my target.
Some people say that an AR-15's .223 remington round can't kill a deer. Yet most of these critics, have never hunted deer with the .223 round or even tried it. A lot of the guys who hunt in this place where I booked my lease, are using AR-15's and only 2 of them have an AR-10.
I spoke with them and they told me not to use the light 55 grain .223 round on deer. They recommended that I use the 64 grain soft point .223 round or the 77 grain soft point .223 round made by Sierra Matchking series. These heavier bullets delivered more foot lbs. of energy when they struck the deer, and a heavier .223 round is less likely to yaw and has greater penetration.
But of course, I learned that there was a disadvantage. For maximum effectiveness against whitetails and mule deer, they recommended that I shoot at deer from less than 120 yards away, because the heavier bullet tends to lose velocity at a greater rate than the lighter 55 grain round.
I am hunting from a deer stand that is at a 46 yard distance from an automatic corn feeder. If there is a .223 hunting load or make that you have used successfully to hunt deer, please tell me about it or please share your deer hunting experience with a .223 round.