Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 1 decade ago

Is there a difference between editions for college textbooks?

I'm a freshman in college. I'm a noob at this (lol) and I want to buy my textbooks at a cheap price, but my class requires the 4th edition of a book. All I'm finding on amazon.com and other sites like that are the 3rd edition. Is there really a difference between the books? Can i just buy the 3rd edition instead? Please help me out. Thank you. :D

Favorite Answer

the only thing you can do is email your professor and ask him if its possible to use an older edition of the book. i do that for some classes, but not for others. it depends on the class. sometimes i even wait for the first day to assess how often i will need the book. for most schools you can even find sites where students from your school sell their textbooks for cheaper.

1

Source(s): Good Writing Job http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm a freshman in college. I'm a noob at this (lol) and I want to buy my textbooks at a cheap price, but my class requires the 4th edition of a book. All I'm finding on amazon.com and other sites like that are the 3rd edition. Is there really a difference between the books? Can i just buy the 3rd...

Source(s): difference editions college textbooks: https://biturl.im/4lzXZ

yes there is a difference, but ask your prof. to see if you can use another version.

sometimes, there actually is addition material, but most of the time it's just a section chopped out while the rest of the book is identical. Once in a while the school text includes an online resource or access to a class site that u'll have to buy separately or see if the the bundle's cheaper.

As for editions, you can get away with older editions but you should double check the publishers to see if there were any major changes. Be very careful when you do this with math since it's so important for the problems to the be the same. '

Sometimes you don't even need to get the book.

The only difference between editions is some of the information is updated and some taken out. The important info is still in there and from personal experience, Most teachers will give page numbers for assignments on different editions of the book.

• Mirza

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avWdo

Are you talking about custom editions? Some professors create custom editions that are sold only at the campus bookstore. It can also be custom packages. If you can discover what is in the package, it is possible to get the pieces from other sources. I have been working at a college bookstore for 20 years and my advice is to contact the professor and/or go to the campus bookstore and investigate exactly what is being used for the class. Find out the return policy of the bookstore and any other source where you are looking to purchase books.

the teacher's edition has all the answers!!! JK! The text is the same, but there is more information around the margins. The pages will be numbered differently due to the font size, but you should be able to see what the page numbers are from the shrunken images of the student edition. I would buy the teacher's edition if it was cheaper. also, never buy from your school's bookstore. they charge an arm and a leg for books. You can often find the exact same book for LESS THAN HALF the price of a book purchased from the school.

usually very little differences...things tend to be on different pages...

but, every once in a while they do a big overhaul and it changes quite a bit....

I'd go to your book store at school...the profs would have made sure the course requirement books were there...

If you were buying it second hand, i'd say...sure, take a chance with an old edition, but if you're buying new...i personally would want to find out what the differences were before buying

but...probably there aren't that many differences....

• Erika

Discovering The Humanities 2nd Edition

I would suggest you get your textbooks at half.com instead.Or even better, compare those prices to amazon.Half.com is where I usually get all my textbooks. I think its best that you contact your instructor and ask her if you can get prior editions. Some allow it some dont.