How can we make the MLS more popular?

All you MLS fans.....how awesome would it be if the MLS was as big as the NFL. If teams had there own stadiums filled with 50,000 or so people. I think it would be cool if the USA had a great soccer league with passionate fans like the European teams do. How can we make MLS soccer more popular?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First off, MLS doesn't plan to fill up 50,000+ stadiums in the near future. It's first priority is building soccer-specific stadiums that hold 30,000 seats or under. They want an intimate environment for the matches.

As for making MLS more popular, there is only one thing you can control with: Viral marketing. MLS could spend more money on foreign players, increase roster size, pay the players more, eliminate the playoffs, get ESPN to broadcast more matches, etc... But these are decisions made by the league and each club for financial and competitive reasons.

If you want more interest in MLS, fans need to pass along the MLS message voluntarily. It's how web sites like Google got big. It wasn't through massive TV advertising but by word-of-mouth and clever Internet marketing. How did Barack Obama win the Democratic nomination over a more connected Hilary Clinton? MLS is an underdog compared to other team sports so viral marketing is essential to its success.

What message would you give to Americans on MLS soccer? It's not the best league in the world. It doesn't have the richest tradition. I can't think of a great message except MLS players love soccer because they are so underpaid compared to other sports.

To non-soccer fans, you have to answer: Why should they watch soccer? You can talk to them about the fans and their enthusiasm. You can tell them how anyone can be a soccer player if you have skill, no matter how big or tall you are.

Answering questions like these will help a little. Joining and organizing supporter groups helps bring fans together too.

• 1 decade ago

Well, a good way to increase popularity outside the country, would be more MLS teams winning important international tournaments,

but as you can see you have New England (MLS current sub-champions) losing 4-0 to Joe Public (Jamaica) at home, yeah i know...

• Kevin
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

WE cant do much.

But first the quality of our own players has to improve.

dont listen to the other 2 answers above me.

it starts here! we bring in players we wont develop our own and the US team will suffer from that. winning international tournaments? yes, as soon as we improve but right now we are not there yet.

• 1 decade ago

Well, to do that, it would take years (my opinion) only because people have grown to love the other sports (baseball, football, etc) i think with the Generation being born, you would have to show them the love of the sport. just like any other country. i don't think you could change the mind of people under the age of 7 or 8.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

the USA clearly needs to bring more talent in from overseas to make it more popular.... Go Chicago Fire!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.