Bea asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Common noisy backyard insects?

What are the other most common insects in your neighborhood (USA residents only) aside from crickets and cicadas that make sound/noise (whichever you prefer calling it =D) during early morning, afternoon and night?

Favorite Answer

Depending on how loud it is it might be a cicada. Their sound can be as high as 120 decibels if your up close to it, which is the equivalent of a jet engine at 100 meters away. Other than that, I agree with the others who have answered. Katydid, Locust, insects of that nature. Maybe a grasshopper.

Source(s): Wikipedia, FTW! Oh, and myself and stuff.
  • kriend

The constant symphony you are hearing is Field Crickets, Periodical Cicadas or Harvester Cicadas(depends on area) several types of Katydids. Grasshoppers make noise too but only in the daytime. Add the sounds of all the locally occurring frogs, birds and it is quite a chorus. I love the night noises and sleep with the windows open as often as possible.

Common Backyard Insects

Bees and wasps buzzing

Locusts and grasshoppers also chirp and buzz

katydids also make noise

flies and mosquitoes buzz

In the summer time I hear locusts.

They only make sound when they

land. Did you know that? Interesting.