varnold asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

Where is Jackson Switch, Wagoner County, Oklahoma?

My uncle by marriage was born there. I have tried googling it. I went to Wagoner County website no luck there either.

My cousin doesn't know either.

My uncle was born 3 days before the census was taken. I found them in Lone Star, Wagoner, Oklahoma in the 1920 census.

I am looking for Thomas Milton Cox and his wife Rhoda and their sons Arthur and newborn son Claude. Tom was born abt 1883 in Illinois, Rhoda was born in May 1880 in Missouri. Arthur was born in 1898 in Missouri.

If you happen to find this family in the 1910 census let me know. They are in my Summers family tree at ancestry.com

Ok, typo

he was born about 1866. But that wasn't my question. Where is Jackson Switch and did anyone find them in the 1910 census?

Ok, typo

he was born about 1866. But that wasn't my question. Where is Jackson Switch and did anyone find them in the 1910 census? Bryce, I have already checked the 2nd one.

I found them in the 1910 census. Their name is spelled wrong. They are in Lone Star, Oklahoma

Thankyou all

Favorite Answer

You might ask for a Census lookup by Clarissa, the volunteer listed on this page: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okwagone/lookups...

Perhaps she might have some information on Jackson Switch as well.

I'm finding Tom as Thomason Cox in the 1920 Census, and it says he was born 1864 or 1866. This is the only census record where I'm finding him (so far) with a wife named Rhoda.

If your Thomas Milton Cox was indeed born circa 1883, is it possible Thomas had a brother named Al, and that they were both single and living in the same household in 1910?:

1910 United States Federal Census

about Tom Cox

Name: Tom Cox

Age in 1910: 27

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883

Birthplace: Illinois

Relation to Head of House: Head

Father's Birth Place: Illinois

Mother's Birth Place: Kentucky

Home in 1910: Woodbury, Cumberland, Illinois

Marital Status: Single

Race: White

Gender: Male

Household Members: Name Age

Tom Cox 27

Al Cox 25

Now that I've finally found your tree on Ancestry, I see you have his birth as 1866.

I hope this helps.

Edit-

Thanks for clarifying the birth year, as you know it helps significantly to narrow down the search. I've been looking through the 1910 census and your tree, which states you think they may have left Missouri around 1900 for the OK land rush, and am simply not finding Thomas (or T M or Tommy or Tom or Thomason), or Rhoda, or Arthur in the 1910 census in any state. It looks like you expect them to be in Oklahoma in 1910, since they left for OK and were still there in 1920... still looking...

Edit-

Have you been to the Bureau of Land Management site? There was a Thomas Cox who got a land patent on 1/6/1910 in Tillman County, OK (link to search page in Source box below). It could be the right Thomas, which might mean he and/or his family was/were in Tillman county in 1910.

Final edit-

Now back to your original question about Jackson Switch: I wondered if they lived in the country and the switch was an old railroad switch. Then I found this on an old forum post, it sounds like the same Jackson Switch you're looking for:

"Subject: [JACKSON] Jackson Switch n. of Coweta, OK or Indian Territory?

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:26:40 -0500

Dear Oklahoma Shahans & Jackson Connections -

As we left the Shahan Reunion in Coweta a few weekends ago, we were

driving North on highway 51, out of Coweta, and then turned West perhaps

still on "Old Highway 51"... there was a jumble of railroad tracks there, perhaps an X... and Bryan said "this was called The Jackson

Switch" - I don't know where he got that - perhaps as a child from his father, or perhaps it was labeled that way at one time? Beverly,

again, can you confirm this? Karla"

• Bryce

Many towns and hamlets that list inhabitants in prior Census records die out and do not appear on modern maps. Your best bet might be to contact the Wagoner Public Library and see if they have old maps, or one of those "vanity" county histories that were published across the country in rural areas in the 1870s through earliest 1900s.

Below is the website for the Wagoner [City] Public Library; forgive the music, someone thought it was cool once! I also found a link for Wagoner County's Historical Society or somesuch.

Good luck!

a number of my famous cheatin' (one way or yet another) songs: Porter Wagoner - The chilly stressful info Of existence Porter Wagoner - The Carroll County accident Stonewall Jackson - Leona George Jones - The Window Up Above George Jones - Her call Is ... George Jones - Radio Lover Merle Haggard - Carolyn David Allan Coe - Now I Lay Me all the way down to Cheat Mel Tillis - Ruby do no longer Take Your like to city Mel Tillis - Charlie's Angel Barbara Mandrell - The evening Oil Conway Twitty - Linda On My innovations Conway Twitty - you have never Been This far earlier Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn - After the hearth Is long gone Jerry Lee Lewis - center Age loopy Jim Reeves - he will would desire to circulate Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' heart Hank Snow - ninety Miles An Hour (Down A ineffective end highway) Hank Snow - Miller's Cave Leroy Van Dyke - walk On by utilising Earl Thomas Conley - keeping Her and Loving You Webb Pierce - returned highway Affair Bobby bare - Margie’s on the Lincoln Park lodge Bobby bare - seem Who i'm dishonest On this evening Bobby bare, Norma Jean & Liz Anderson - the interest Of Triangles Jim Reeves & Dottie West - Love isn't any Excuse Charley satisfaction - Does My Ring harm Your Finger Vern Gosdin - in case you're Gonna Do Me incorrect (Do It proper) marvelous Rhythm Aces - 0.33 value Romance Lynyrd Skynyrd - i understand slightly

Thomas had a son when he was 15? Is it possible he was born in 1873? 15 is a little young, but not unheard of.

The census indicates that Thomas was born about 1866.

Source(s): ancestry.com

http://listsearches.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/...

this person claims it is north of Coweta.. in Muskogee county. Muskogee adjoins Wagoner.. that would be a common thing, if they lived close to the county line.

I tried ePodunk with the historical name setting on. No luck, but here's Wagoner Co. information with links to maps and genealogical sites: http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locInde...