is a marble orb weaving spider poisonous to humans?

More than that, are they native to northern Indiana? Because my dad thinks he found one in our yard.

Favorite Answer

Spiders are very commonly seen during late summer. Probably the most common type is the orb weaving spiders, family Araenidae. As their name suggests, they produce vertical, flat, round webs with strands radiating out from the center, much like a bicycle tire. This is one of the biggest groups of spiders with species found in many sites, including around homes and in yards and gardens. Many residents have encountered these spiders throughout Minnesota during August and September this year.

Most orb weaving spiders are moderate in size and brownish, like a barn spider, although some species such as the marble spider are brightly colored (colorful species are often orange or yellow). The black and yellow argiope is large, with a one inch long body, and is brightly colored yellow and black. Like most spiders, orb weaving spiders possess eight small eyes, four in the center forming a box and a pair on the right and another on the left. Orb spiders have poor vision although they are able to detect slight differences in changes in light.

These spiders do not rely on vision to capture prey but use the vibrations they detect in their webs to alert them when they have captured something. Orb weaving spiders will wrap up their prey in silk then carry them away to the hub of their web or to a secure retreat to eat them at their convenience. Nocturnal orb weaving spiders may choose to take down and eat their web in the morning and then rebuild it the next evening. Orb weaving spiders that are active during the day similarly may reconstruct their nest in the morning.

Orb weaving spiders are harmless to people and should be left alone. It is tempting to say ignore them but you should take the opportunity to watch these fascinating creatures. And they are quite photogenic for anyone with a camera. At any rate, they will die on their own as the weather becomes colder.

Source(s): Extension office

1

Source(s): Self Defence Training http://netint.info/UltimateSelfDefenseGuide

If it is indeed a Marble orb-weaver, you are lucky to have her. They can be frightening to see the first time. The females, usually the only members you see, grow to be conspicuous, beautiful spiders with impressive strength and insect-catching ability.

Marble or "marbled" orb weaver spiders rarely bite any humans, largely because they have nothing to do with human beings other than taking advantage of the easy living that gardens, field edges and landscaped yards with varieties of flora have provided their web-weaving. The spaces in between shrubs, houses, small trees and where yards meet forest are perfect for orb webs to hang for catching insects. If not disturbed, the spiders will thrive there and provide you with free addtional defense against insects.

If you manage to get a marble or other common orb-weaving species caught between you and your clothes, for example, they may bite from fear of being held or crushed (obviously), and the bite may be painful as it happens (their fangs are not relatively small) and the venom can cause some local swelling, pain, and discoloration, but that s about it. Think of it as a slow acting bee sting. This doesn t mean ignore the bite, however.

Because you may have a more severe reaction to the bite than most people, and even more common... you may have misidentified or not even seen what actually bit you, and it could be from something more troubling than a marbled orb-weaver, such as a trapped bee or wasp in your shirt, or (very unlikely) a brown recluse spider or black widow spider. Though it s rare to see them oustide their range, never believe you CAN T see a brown recluse just because you re so far north. You can have serious damage from their bite, and an allergy to bee or wasp stings can kill you.

Always get something you think may be a venemous bite checked by a doctor as soon as you can. It s much tougher to recover than it is to stay ahead of the problem. And if it was just a marbled orb-weaver, as impressive as they may look, don t worry.... at least you were ready in case it wasn t, and you can be happy the spider is trying to live where millions of mosquitoes, flies, beetles, etc.. and other pests are after you and your family, livestock, or produce. Spiders are the good guys/gals.

• wehner

Marbled Orb Weaver

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): marble orb weaving spider poisonous humans: https://shortly.im/f37kO

Orb Weaver Bite

what if it bit my cats? Will be cats die? or m dogs. will they from a bite form this particular spider?

I just saw one(i think tonight). It was hanging from my tree in front of my house!

It had a HUGE bubble body and was ORANGE and it had an egg sac hanging at the top of its dangling (single strand) web. I literally watched it lower it self, then shoot web from its butt the opposite way I had been standing(thank god). I was so scared, I thought it was venomous and could kill any of my pets or bet my child!

I took a few lighters, tried to kill it but that didn't work because every time it sensed the smoke from the fire, it brought itself up higher towards the tree. So I took something else and I waved it close by to it, and it sensed danger, so it literally brought its egg sac up to the top branch(which I could visibly see and have access to it. Then it left the egg sac up there and came fully to the ground/grass. While it was mid air I sprayed it with poision and it fell to the ground, where I sprayed it another 20 times then took my shoe and smashed it multiple times. THEN I looked up and saw the egg sac in the corner at the top and sprayed the Hell out of it! then spayed the dead smashed up body on the ground 50 more times, before smashing it with my shoe another 5x.

To make sure it was dead.

I could not believe these spiders are showing up at my home.

I am so use to only daddy long leg spiders. I never kill them because as a kid I handled them often ,and I can still happily handle a daddy long leg spider. BUT when I see these MASSIVE bodied spiders, that are so swift and FAST as hell, I gotta kill it. I can't let it live. They scare the **** out of me.

OMG... NO. . Most spiders are NOT a big danger to humans. Thank them for eating bothersome insects!

Poisonous and venomous are very different things - you thinking of eating it or letting it bite you?