Can Switzerland do anything if I (US Citizen) don't pay a speeding ticket I received in the mail? ?

I received a ticket in the mail from the Luzern police. It says I was photographed going 14kph over the speed limit. Can they send a collection agency after me or affect my insurance rates in the United States? Would I be arrested if I returned to Switzerland in a couple years?

****

I read on some wiki website that Switzerland could compel me to appear in US court by issuing a rogatory. Is that possible?

Favorite Answer

If you never plan to go back ot Switzerland you probably have nothing to worry about.

However if you plan to return to Switzerland, I recommend that you pay the ticket.

I also just recieved a speeding ticket from Luzern this past week too! I found this on the Wikipedia website:

WARNING: If you get fined but not stopped (e.g. caught by a Speed Camera) the police will send you the fine even if you live abroad. In Switzerland, speeding is not a violation of a traffic code but a Legal Offence, if you fail to comply there is a good chance that an international rogatory will be issued and you have to go to court in your home country.

Also, starting from 2007, Switzerland banned all GPS appliances with built-in speed cameras databases as they are equiped with "Radar Detectors".

According to some GPS navigator producers, it is advised to remove the Swiss radar database while driving in the country as the police may give you a fine and impound your device even if is turned off and placed in the trunk of your vehicle!

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • Stefan

Short answer: You better pay.

Long answer:

If you do not pay the process will be the following:

1. The Lucerne police hands your case over to the responsible court in Switzerland.

2. The court decides wheter there is an offence or not. (They will find out that there is one. The photo is a perfect proof)Then the court finally decideds what the fine is.

3. You will get a bill with the final fine plus court expenses which will be much higher the fine.

4. If you do not pay the Swiss administration is going to start measures to get you paid in the United States (Eighter court sue or adminstrative matters.) Of course they will bill you for these efforts as well. So the bill becomes even higher.

So the longer you wait the higher the bill and there is a good chance you will have to pay. Drive slower next time.

If you don't pay then the ticket (increased, of course, by the Failure to Appear) will go to collections. Will the collection agency pursue it in the US? Who knows? They probably will report it as un unpaid debt to the credit bureaus though, since that's so easy to do. Even if they do, it won't affect your insurance rates, just your credit.

You won't be arrested in the US for it. It is quite possible though that if you return to Switzerland it'll show up at immigration when you try to enter. You will certainly be unable to rent a car.

(The US *does* have an extradition treaty with Switzerland, and has had since 1850, but extradition treaties don't cover traffic offenses and the like anyway)

Richard

• swiger

Swiss Speeding Fines

in case you paid the cost ticket in guy or woman, you will get a reciept, in case you paid the cost ticket by way of mail (not stated-takes too long) you will could call for a reciept. the only time you will recieve something interior the mail is that in case you probably did not pay the cost ticket. i could despite if make certain the cost ticket became paid and no added action is enthusiastic with reference to the police branch who stated you, wether that is state, city, or sheriffs departmnet.

in reference to a previous answer, the US and Switzerland have had an extradition treaty for a long time.

It's moot point anyway, tickets like this are not criminal matters. No one gets extradited for traffic tickets, it would make no sense.

Your need to ask yourself how much you value being able to return to Switzerland (particularly if you intend to drive).

Probably. Interpol facilitates communications between Police depts. One of the areas they focussed on after 9/11 was tracking travel movements of people committing offences in one country and skipping to another. The theory is that terrorists avoid answering minor offences, as they wish to remain "below the radar" and wish to avoid further investiagtion.

I would mail the ticket back along with a photo of you giving them the middle finger.

i am quite sure they are not going to swear a warrant out against you and have you extradited back to Switzerland, especially since the US and the Swiss don't have an extradition treaty.