Dee asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How to get my dog to stop eating the trash?

How can I get my dog to stop eating the trash? After everytime we change the bag, she drags it into the living room and rips it apart then starts to eat the left over food in the trash bag. How can we make her stop doing this? We have told her no plenty times before, and yet she continues to do this. We leave the bag right next to the can in the house until whoever's turn it is to take out the trash takes it out. She is a little shitzu poodle mix. We would like to get her to stop this. Please and thank you.

Favorite Answer

Stop leaving the bag there. You really can't do that if she can't be trusted to leave it alone.

We all have to make little adjustments when we have pets. It's just like having kids, really. Sure, the child-proof safety locks on all the cabinets aren't very sightly OR convenient, but you do what you have to do.

1

Just take the trash out immediately before she ends up eating something that could possibly cause a blockage. Who cares who's turn it is? Grow up and think about the safety of the dog.

Take the bag out straight away - it's a bit like putting a nice joint of beef on the floor and expecting the dog to leave it alone. Most of our pets just aren't that perfectly behaved!

you just have to be smarter than the dog!! take the trash out immediately and don't leave it laying around.... geesh!! and also separate meat, bones, etc into separate container and keep it out of the garbage. this is natural behavior for dogs and YOU have to be just a little smarter than the pet. also move your can off the floor so the dog cant reach it. make some adjustments for your dog he has made considerable adjustments for you.

Source(s): raised dogs for 35 years and dog behavior specialist

I have sprinkled a little hot pepper sauce on my trash if I couldn't take it out right away, also I put my garbage in a plastic freezer bag and seal it so it doesn't stink so badly. Doing this I've never had a problem with my thieves.

Source(s): how I handled the problem
  • Lizzie

I would take the trash out immediately, regardless of whos turn it is.. That is just common sense.

one thing u could do is whenever u see it near the trash, say 'ahh' in a quick, low tone which shud get its attention

or maybe put some ammonia in the bag a few times in a row, and maybe it will keep away

Source(s): i used to have dogs

Check out this website for training aids they have this spray that's harmless you set it up and it sprays them when they get near things they are not suppose to It is great.

www.thepetgear.net

I would say if you took a leather whip to that pooch and really "wore" it out one good time. That crap would stop.