Waypoint Conclusion ?

I dont understand how to choose suitable way point between arrival and departure or b/w SID/STAR ?? I appreciate if someone could help me pls

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I assume you are talking about simulation. Most of what follows applies to both simulation and real life, but you need to use certified information sources if you're planning a flight for the real world (whereas you can use any source you want for a simulated flight).

You can choose your own route directly using charts, or you can use routes already used by someone else. In the United States, all the information you need is available online; elsewhere it's often a lot more difficult.

SIDs and STARs normally have transitions, waypoints that connect these procedures to the en-route portion of the flight. If you have a SID and STAR, all you have to do is connect the transitions with other waypoints that are along the way. Typically you'll fly along airways, which are paths through the sky marked by multiple waypoints, in which case all you have to do is file the SID and STAR with their transitions, the airways, and the waypoints that connect the airways.

For example, a route from Denver to Miami might look like

PLAIN4 GCK IRW J20 EIC AEX J58 HRV Q105 BLVNS Q102 CYY DEEDS1

PLAIN4 is the SID out of Denver, with GCK (a VOR) as its transition. The flight then continues to the IRW VOR, which is on the J20 airway. It follows the waypoints on the J20 airway between IRW and EIC, then goes on to AEX, then takes the J58 to HRV, then the Q105 airway (an airway intended specifically for RNAV aircraft, that is, those that can fly directly from point to point, which includes virtually all airliners today) to waypoint BLVNS, then via Q102 to CYY, which is the transition for the DEEDS1 arrival (STAR).

PLAIN4 is a SID. DEEDS1 is a STAR, the three-letter fixes are VORs, the letter-plus-number designations are airways, and the five-letter fixes are waypoints not directly associated with radionavigation aids (e.g., GPS waypoints).

Flight Simulator knows about VORs and waypoints, but not about terminal procedures such as STARs and SIDs. You have to fly those by hand—unless you install one of the many ultrarealistic add-on aircraft, which know all about SIDs and STARs, just like the real airplanes they simulate. If you want matching ATC, you can try live ATC using VATSIM or IVAO, which offer real people as controllers with voice communication, instead of the computer-generated ATC in the basic sim (which doesn't know how to handle real-world routes, anyway).

For charts (sectional, TAC, helicopter, FLY, en-route high and low) for the U.S., see SkyVector. For real-world routings in the U.S., see the IFR sections of FlightAware. For the add-on aircraft, check out developers such as PMDG or Level-D. For online flight networks (serious ones, not games), see VATSIM or IVAO. You can google for all of these.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.