A question about tomatoes....?

So I just bought some tomatoes for my friend at the farmers market, becasue she lives where there is really crappy fresh produce. The only thing is that I can't them to her for a couple of days. They are not perfectly ripe yet but they are close. Is there anyway to keep them from ripening so fast. I don't want to put them in the fridge because of the way it makes them "grainey". Thanks for your advice.

• R B
    Favorite Answer

Put the tomatoes in the coolest part of your house. I also stick mine in the dark....I used to work at a Farmer's Mkt. and often got a case of tomatoes to eat. When I wanted them for something special I just put the box in the downstairs bathroom and shut the door. Cool, dark and no one used it much. Also, keep them in one layer...don't let them get chummy and touch each other....they ripen quicker. Really! :) You are right, DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE FRIDGE! If you put them in a brown paper bag, the ethylene will help them ripen quicker, so do not do that. :)

Source(s): experience

Well for sure don't put them in a brown paper bag, that person has got it wrong, brown paper bags make them ripen faster.

I'm not sure how to slow down the ripening process, sorry!

well in open air is the only way to keep them from ripening

Keep them in a cool dark place.

Try the brown paper bag trick, it sometimes slows down the riping process. Otherwise I am not sure.