What The Best Way To Get Better Fuel Milage With My Car?

Hi, i have a 1990 honda accord EX 5 speed standard, im just curious, when driving in town what gear should i have it in to save fuel, and how high should i bring the RPM's? the speed limit in town is 50 Km to 60Km, and when driving on the high way what RPM should i bring it at to shift through the gears properly the speed limit is 100km

Favorite Answer

The obvious answer would be to stay at the speed limit. Also, coast more. You have a stick so that is easy. Just push in the clutch and glide.

Here are some more discreet suggestions:

1) Ensure that your engine is properly tuned. Poor compression in the cylinders or a clogged air filter drastically affect fuel economy. Your engine will run more smoothly, which equates to greater efficiency, which in turn requires less fuel.

2) Inflate your tires to the recommended pressures (or 2-3 psi over if you don't mind a slightly rougher ride). This reduces rolling resistance.

3) Remove luggage racks, bicycle racks, or any projecting object that can be removed. This improves your car's aerodynamics more than you would think.

4) Drive with the windows down rather than with the A/C when driving around town. On the highway, the difference between the two is negligible.

5) Keep RPMs as low as possible. Your engine functions more efficiently at lower RPMs as there is less friction among moving parts.

6) Accelerate at full throttle, but shift at like 2000RPM. Your acceleration will be the same as if you shift at normal shift points. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but doing so reducing pumping losses. This only matters if your fuel pump draws power from the engine (which yours does). This technique takes some getting used to, and it only increases efficiency by 1-2%. It really isn't a big deal.

7) The alternative to (#6) is to accelerate very conservatively. The reason for gain is obvious.

I have tested several of these techniques. For example, just by coasting whenever possible, my fuel economy increased from 20mpg to 22.5mpg. I cannot test some of these since I have an automatic transmission. Most of my driving, like yours, is done around town and in the same speed range.

I can only comment on tire pressure as I am not familiar with the car.

The pressure molded into the tire is MAX SAFE pressure for the listed max load, the recommended pressure is on a sticker in the drivers door jamb, glove box, trunk lid or in the owners/operators manual.

Exceeding the recommended pressure causes premature tire wear at best and a crash at worst.

Source(s): Michelin cert. tire tech.

When driveing in town use 4th gear.

On the highway use 5th.

Shift when your rpms top out.

To save fuel get your car tuned up.

Keep your tires at the sugested pressure.( In the us this info is on the side walls of your tire)

• Jane

Keep it tuned up.

Remove anything in the car you don't absolutely need (clean out the trunk of all that junk).

Check your tire pressure.

Avoid quick starts and stop.

Walk or take public transportation if available.

Best yet, grab a ride with your friends.

• C7S

Shift at 3000rpm for better fuel efficieny.

That is where the automatic transmission usually shifts in cars.

Accelerate slower.

Make sure tire pressure is correct.

Keep car clean and keep trunk(boot) empty.

you use the lowest rpm you can at any speed ,without making the engine lug.--that is how you get the most mpg out of any car. anyone who tells you different is wrong and dosnt know what their talking about

Accelerate slower, and keep the rpm's below 2500. keep the tires at 40-45 PSI

Try coasting more.