u.k.c.....a.k.c....what?

ok. so what does ukc mean? what does it mean for a dog to be ukc regsitered versus akc registered?

why are some dogs in America registered UKC?

Favorite Answer

The UKC is a very reputable registry and is the second oldest registry in the U.S. The UKC is more of a performance based registry, their motto is "Our Dogs Do Stuff". The UKC recognizes many purebreds that the AKC does not like the Bracco Italiano, American Pit Bull Terrier, Bluetick Coonhound, Plott Hound, Akbash Dog and Maremma Sheepdog, Boykin Spaniel, just to name a few. As you can see, they are purebred dogs and some are actually very ancient breeds.

The UKC is well known for the hunting programs, particularly the Nite Hunts with the hounds. The UKC also offers Dock Diving, Weight Pull, Terrier Races, Conformation, Obedience, Agility, Family Obedience & Protection. They also have a wonderful LP (Limited Privilege) program for mixbreeds and non-papered purebreds. Spayed/Neutered mixbreeds are welcome to compete alongside purebred dogs in the performance events (obedience, agility, dock diving, weightpull etc)

My dog is duel registered (AKC/UKC) I show in both venues in conformation, obedience & agility. I actually prefer the UKC atmosphere head and heels over the AKC. In UKC no professional handlers are allowed, so the dogs are all on an even playing field, they are also well known for their family atmosphere and have a wonderful junior handler program.

Edit:

The UKC was established in 1898.

Source(s): 15 years of showing in obedience & agility in UKC. Earned a UACH & UCDX on my mixbreed dog. Currently show my wirehair dachshund in UKC obedience, agility & obedience. He has his UCH UAG2 UCD, he's also pointed in AKC and has his AKC CD, NA, RN

God I wish RM would think before she answers sometimes.

The UKC is a legit registry just like the AKC. The UKC also accept certain breeds the AKC currently does not like the Catahoula and the APBT.

And there is no difference between the two really unless you do dog even comparisons. You will just see more dogs under AKC than the UKC .

Like nekkid said it stands for United Kennel Club and its just like 50 or so years younger than the AKC

UKC = United Kennel Club

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/Home

AKC = American Kennel Club

http://www.akc.org/

Different registries. UKC recognizes some breeds that AKC does not.

.

There are a lot of registries & not just those two. I pulled up a site that lists all the registries. I think it includes all countries as well.

http://www.ddbs.org/somanyregistries.html

Only legit registry in the U.S. is the AKC - the rest are made up by puppy millers or byb.