Co-sleeping? YES OR NO?

I'm 100% breastfeeding and my daughter is 11 weeks old today. She sleeps so well when she's with me. And it's so much easier to breastfeed her when she's with me (co-sleeping). I'm very careful on where she lays and make sure no blankets are near her in fear her suffocating. But my main question is what is everyone outlook on co-sleeping with their baby? Also women that have or are co-sleeping what about your husband, and sex life? I feel guilty cause I don't want my husband to feel neglected, but also I get less sleep when my baby is in her bassinet (which is right next to my side of the bed). But my daughter sleeps so soundly and longer when she's co-sleeping with me. And like I said also breastfeeding her is so easy. Please give me everyone's opinion on this, and any advice. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I too 100% breastfeed my 10.5 week old daughter. I started her out in a bassinet discovering that I got very little sleep bc she was waking up every hour. So I did what I told myself I would NEVER do...I let her sleep with us! I got about 3 hours of sleep between each feeding. I was amazed! That was when she was a week old. Now at 10.5 weeks she almost sleeps through the night, only requires 1 feeding. I'm all for co-sleeping.

As for our sex life...we barely have enough time to sleep let alone have sex. We have 2 other children...3 and 5. When we make time, we just let her play in her swing,bouncy seat, or bassinet. Co-sleeping won't interfer with your sex life if you don't let it. You just have to get creative and make time for it. That's something that we have to work on. I'm amazed to read all of your reply's bc alot are so supportive of co-sleeping. I've seen some on here just totally put it down.

Source(s): We happily co-sleep with our 10.5 week old daughter!

Well, since you asked, I'm not a fan of co-sleeping -- not because of suffocation risks, but because I just could never sleep with my baby next to me! I would be so tuned in to every twitch and movement she makes that I would just lay there, listening. I think babies wake up much more throughout the night when they share a bed with mom and dad. Also, it is very very VERY hard to transition a baby to a crib when they are used to co-sleeping. So, if you make the decision, know that it could very well be for a couple years.

Co-sleeping is definitely not for everyone, but if it's something that gives you joy then go for it. Just make sure your husband is OK with it and understands the commitment. Dads often are not as excited about the arrangement as mothers.

My son is 3 months old and I am breastfeeding and we co-sleep with him as well. I have actually heard that it is better for babies to co-sleep because the movements of the parents make the baby move around in their sleep more and can help to prevent SIDS. As for the sex life part, my husband and I will put the baby to bed in the bassinette next to the bed when we feel frisky, do our thing, then put the baby into the bed with us after we are done and are ready to go to sleep. We actually sleep better when the baby is in the bed with us now :)

I did the same with my 10 year old daughter when she was a baby since I was breastfeeding and once she began to sleep consistently thorugh the night I moved her to sleeping in her crib. So in my opinion, you are doing a great job :) Good mommy!

Im stil breastfeeding my 4 1/2 mo old. And I co sleep with him. My husband and I have a good sex life. You just have to make time for it. Id keep the bassinet by the bed. I try to put him in it as much as possible for those reasons. My older son coslept with us too. Just make sure you kick them out before they are 5 lol.

• I co-slept with our daughter until she was about 7 months old. My husband did NOT like it because we couldn't cuddle while we slept and he was always afraid of hurting her. I absolutely loved it and it was a great way to bond with my baby. Now that she is older she sleeps in her crib in her room by herself. As long as you can break them of the habit when you are tired of having them in bed, I don't see a problem with it. My duaghter slept all night long when I slept with her. Now that shes in her own room she gets up once or twice and wants food. But, she goes right back to bed and i'm sure eventually she will be sleeping through the night again. Oh and it took me a long time to get used to not having her with me, especially since my husband was deployed when I moved her to her own bed. A week or two later I was fine and sleep quite well without her. Good luck and do whatever makes you feel happy. :)

I co-sleep with a toddler and a baby, and hubby is not "neglected" because of it -only because he works so much. Trust me the better sleep you get, and the better sleep hubby gets the more you will want to have sex.

Why babies should never sleep alone: A review

of the co-sleeping controversy in relation to SIDS,

bedsharing and breast feeding

http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/articles/McKenna_w...

CO-SLEEPING: YES, NO, SOMETIMES?

http://askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp

Not strictly co-sleeping but discusses what happens when mom cosleeps:

http://www.workandpump.com/reversecycling.htm

How Cosleeping Parents Can Still Have a Great Sex Life

Bedsharing Doesn't Have to Interfere with Love-making

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/343538/ho...

CoSleeping and Sex

http://parenting.amuchbetterway.com/cosleeping-and...

Co-sleeping yes! :-D

If you're getting more sleep then you'll be more energetic to have sex with your husband.

Take a few showers with him after the baby goes to bed or in the morning while she's in a swing or still sleeping or something and show him that co-sleeping doesn't have to mean that there is no action taking place. *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

We co-slept with our twins for almost the entire first year and we had no problems at all transitioning to independent sleeping. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, in fact, I plan to in February when my new baby is born. :-D

Hi, my little girl is 9 months now and i fully breastfed and co-slept. its lovely - reasuring for you and baby - and best for breastfeeding.

On the sex side- or lack of should i say! You'll find you wont be very close with your man as its hard to cuddle and be close.

And we could never get our baby in her cot to sleep - which after your not breastfeeding and they sleep thru - youll want.

Took nights of letting to have a little cry to get her to sleep in a cot. But now she sleeps in her cot - sex is almost back to norm!

So best thing - feed her her night feed - put her down in her cot to sleep - yes she will cry - but by end or week baby will b used to it - they lean fast. tis gives u and hubby time together. and then when baby does wake bring her in bed with you :)

everyones happy!

x

Source(s): mum to 9month old

My son is almost 8months old & we still co-sleep, it is easier to nurse him at night, i sleep better knowing hes next to me, if i wake i check on him, i love seeing his seeping face as soon as i wake up. I love co-sleeping, and so does my husband. We have a great sex life, we get creative, do it in other places, lol. Sometimes we move him to his pack n play for a night to get our freak on, hehe..

God Bless

Source(s): mom to a 7.5mo boy
  • Co-Sleeping is amazing! i really love it! if you dont want the worry though of having your daugher in bed with you buy an arms-reach co-sleeping cot! its the best invention that i think has been thought of! i love mine its amazing okay maybe im going on a bit!!!!!

Source(s): www.armsreach.com