Eric Johnson or Steve Vai?

Doing a talent show. "The Audience is Listening" or "Cliffs of Dover"???

Best Answer

I agree with sixstring, it is hard to compare the two. But I prefer Vai over Eric Johnson if I had to choose. I think Vai has had a larger historical impact on the music industry then Johnson has as a whole. In the 80s, Vai was really making the rounds. He served as David Lee Roth's electric guitar player and he later went on to be in Whitesnake. Before playing in these bands, he was in a group called Alcatraz. Not to mention staring in the 1986 movie "Crossroads" and playing guitar in Alice Cooper's hard rock tune "Feed My Frankenstein".

I admire Vai because he earned stardom and popularity in an era that was extremely competitive for guitar players: the mid 80s. He wasn't a cliche Eddie Van Halen copycat either, he actually developed his own unique and distinguishable sound. Vai uses a lot of very intricate tapping and vibrato soloing techniques that are difficult to mimic.

• zoso

Cliffs Of Dover

Steve Vai

It's really hard to compared these two. I would say Vai is the better technical player, albeit he is only slightly better.

Johnson, in my opinion, has a far superior sense of melody and is more dedicated to his overall sound than Vai.

If I had to take one of the two, it would be Johnson. Also, I think John Petrucci is better than them both.

The Audience is Listening.

steve for me. i saw eric johnson when he opened for satch. seriously, i wasn't impressed with eric. i love satch. that man is amazing. an attorney in my office studied under him. she said he is very very strict.