M40
Lv 4
M40 asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Do Americans really just hang up the phone without signing off?

I see in American TV and film that sometimes they just put down the phone without saying 'goodbye' or anything. I would find this to be VERY rude. Is it only cops and heroes that do this or is it normal?

Update:

Hi Mike, yeah, I know Yanks are as polite as they come, this just seems odd to me hanging up without signing off. Im sure every culture does something that others would consider rude.

29 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As an Englishman-and much to gripe about when it comes to American foreign policy/the current administration and so forth-I can only answer you by saying that the MAJORITY (not all) of Americans I have been in communication with rate as the most polite people I have come across .

I think that wherever there is rudeness-as you describe-it is not so much determined by nationality as by commonality.

• 3 years ago

• 1 decade ago

Druggie has only talked to the ones without phone etiquette or manners, not everyone is like that! (I dont' "stuff my face" and I always say goodbye and know how to act) Stop stereotyping.

I thought we only signed off the internet, tho :P We call it just saying goodbye or hanging up when it comes to the telephone,

• 1 decade ago

That's not very common. It's mostly an invention for TV and movies to speed up the process. I'd consider it rude, too.

I know my mother and her sisters sometimes do that, but they know each other well and sort of head toward the goodbye without actually saying the word 'goodbye.' Like, "I'll talk to you later" and then click.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Rarely - but, when someone does, I immediately ring them back to say, "You forgot to say Goodbye". What I really appreciate about most Americans is when I've called a wrong number, and am in the midst of saying, "I'm so sorry to have ..... " and they slam (!!) the 'phone down. Or, twits who say, "You have the wrong number" and then hang up before I can take a breath. Well - what IS the incorrect number I've reached (so I won't disturb you, again)?? Telephone Directories used to list some of the basic telephone manners but it, apparently, became politically incorrect to do this - soon it will be politically incorrect to include preparation instructions on a package of cake mix.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Almost never. It it does happen in real life, you have no idea how the other side of the conversation went, and perhaps ended by them say, "wow gotta go now, bye bye" with a click buzz. Generally we say good bye or some variation.

Contrary to what some of you think I spend a lot of my time traveling and most places in the world actually seem to like Americans...NOT FRANCE, but most places.

• 3 years ago

i assume some people do carry up on the phone without declaring see you later. i do not. It occurs lots in company from what i have stated or maybe it truly is in basic terms the position I artwork. it truly is not any longer well mannered. How did you recognize even as the decision is over? i do not say see you later. I in basic terms say bye - seek for suggestion from with you later - something like that. it truly is been effectual talking to you, etc.

• 1 decade ago

From my own personal experiences, it depends on what part of the USA you are talking to. I live in tennessee and everyone I know always says bye. My friend in New York says later, and my cousin in California just hangs up without saying anything.. lol- But however those are just only 2 people I know in different states.

But it just depends on the person and if they are mad/sad/ or happy. However it is very rude to not tell the person you are speaking with bye.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i live up north where us yankees are stereotyped as "rude". i don't and i don't know anyone who just hangs up without saying "bye" or "later". that is just the movies. same thing in the movies i hate is when they show a couple in bed. first thing in the morning the couple is talking right in each others face and making out. who the hell does that??? ewwww..morning breath. don't believe everything you see in the movies. the only time i hang up without saying good bye is if i'm fighting on the phone.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't always say goodbye or other closings to relatives. Especially if the conversation felt kinda negative. But it feels fake or odd to say goodbye to someone you're going to see in a few hours....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.