If someone leave's their car running to warm it up, then a thief comes and steals it, who's at fault?

The someone or the thief?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Well, I think both are at fault, but at fault for different elements.

Element A): The theft.

The thief, of course, is at fault. In a eutopic circumstance, one could leave their car in any manner they please and it would be understood that moral fortitude alone would eliminate any concern of another taking it. However, unfortunately ours is far from a eutopia and theft does take place. That being said, the one who is at fault for the THEFT, is the person who broke the eutopic ideal - the thief who took action to deprive another of his belongings.

Element B): Manifestation of Ease

A thief, or most any criminal for that matter, will work like electricity - get from point A to point B with the least amount resistance. That being said, the thief, given two different scenarios to achieve his goal, will take the one that provides the least tripwires over which he might stumble. So, let's say we were thieves and we are going to steal a BMW. We go out and there are two of the exact same BMW on the block and we have decided that one of them is coming home with us. Are we going to take Car #1:

- parked under a bright street light on the major street where lots of people pass by

- Locked with windows closed

- Security system installed and engaged

Or are we gong to take car #2:

- Parked in the back lot under the burnt out street light

- Doors left unlocked

- Keys in the center console

No brainer, right? We're taking the back-alley, five-finger special with the keys and no witnesses.

So that being said, I would have to argue that the owner, with full comprehension of their actions and understanding of our distopic society, would hold some fault not for the theft, but rather for making themself the easy target.

At the end of the day, however, I believe most would argue the theif to be at fault more so than the victim as despite its unattainablity, we like to model ourselves against a utopic ideal and strive for the closest likeness.

Source(s): Opinion (and a wee bit of devil's advocacy)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've heard that in New York, it's actually illegal to leave a car running in a public place and walk away from it. Maybe that's because of thieves. Either way, I'd imagine the driver is at fault for being careless... but the thief would still get caught. Insurance might go up on the car, though.

• rae
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

both

1.whoever left the car running. in some places it is illegal to leave the keys in a car while it is unattended and to leave it running is not good at all as it only encourages this sort of thing.

2. the thief who was tempted and did it.

the thief will of course get the greater punishment.

if you don't ge the car back or it is damaged you may have trouble with insurance as it was not broken into. house insurance is much the same in that if you have not secured your property they are reluctant to pay out and after all they don't need much excuse, however if it is broken into that is a different matter.

i am sorry for your loss, i hope you get it back safely and in good condition with the only thing missing, the fuel. if this happens there should not be a problem. learn from this. good luck.

ps i hope you reported it to the police as that might be the only way you can get it back.

• 1 decade ago

It would be somebody's fault if they made a mistake or a blunder..

The thief obviously didnt make any mistake, he did what he does best without making a blunder.

So obviously the owner of the car is at fault for leaving the keys in and the engine running unsupervised

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Both of them. The thief steals it - which is wrong, but the person leaves it with the keys in the ignition. That's just my opinion - it may be different with the law though.

• 1 decade ago

it's both. first of all the 'someone' should not have left the car open in a place with the key.

now that the car is lying outside...the thief shouldn't have stolen it as it is someone else's car.

but being a thief that's what his job is so 'someone' should be careful.

• 1 decade ago

The law in Texas is that you're both at fault. It's against the law here to leave your keys in the car, ever. And if your car does get stolen with the keys in it, I understand they don't put a lot of effort into finding it, either.

• 1 decade ago

If the someone leaves their keys available to the thief then it's not concidered auto theft. It's unauthorized use of a motor vehicle

• 1 decade ago

In cout... the thief. On the streets the someone... and can be called a dumb@55 freely by anyone for the rest of his/her life.

• Ryan K
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Are you seriously blaming a person for making an honest mistake, when a theif delibrately decides to steal something? The theif is the one breaking the law. The theif is at fault.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.