bri m asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

HEEELLLP,MY HERMIT CRABS SHES DEAD??

WELL,WHEN I CAME HOME FROM SCHOOL I NOTICED THE STRANGEST THING IVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE,COCO ONE OF MY HERMIT CRABS WAS DEAD,I SAW HER CLAWS DETATCHED FROM HER BODY AND I DONT KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED,SO PLZZ.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sorry. It was most likely one of the other crabs.

• 3 years ago

%. it up and verify its reflexes. If it would not pass then i might worry for the worst, using fact any animals' instincts while picked up by utilising ask your self could be to conflict. If it does no longer prepare this common trait then...i think of you get the element. additionally purely using fact i'm a biologist I kinda could say, a hermit crab is an arachnoid no longer a reptile. i'm hoping all is going nicely

• 1 decade ago

Well since we dont know the whole situation its hard. Are there boy and girl How long have you had them? How big of a cage? How many? With that being said, if the claws were detached, its probably a fight, which could be a few reasons.

Source(s): Vet assiant, and more
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Can you answer these questions, and I can help you out with what may have happened

What type of stubstrate do you have?

How many crabs?

What do you feed them?

Do you have a humidity gauge?

What type of tank do you have?

Do you use tap water, dechlorinated water, or salt water?

Do you supply then with fresh and salt water?

I've got 12 hermit crabs, and know almost everything you need to know about their care. Please answer those questions and I can try to help you figure out what happened, and how to prevent this from happening to your other crabs.

If you want your crabs to live long and healthy lives, you need at least a 10 gallon glass tank, with at least 3 inches of sand substrate. You needa humidity gauge and to keep the humidity at 76% with use of a spray bottle. You need to use DEchlorinated water, not tap, tap water kills. You should also supply then with salt and fresh water. Don't use store bought foods. They have harmful chemicals in them that are not safe for your crabs, you should feed a fresh diet with fruits and veggies.

If you have any questions, email me at Shelbyns@mail2me.com

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

When hermit crabs are highly stressed their limbs detach from their body. Then they start to die if it goes to far.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

umm she might not be dead claws can fall off and stuff and they end up growing them back it just takes time its you know for sure shes daed though if her claws are fallin off (and she's dead) then she wouldve had to have been dead for a while and you just didnt notice i would really double check though she might be alive!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

See, there's a big difference between mostly dead, and all dead. Now, mostly dead: she's slightly alive. All dead, well, with all dead . . .

The Princess Bride

• 1 decade ago

I am so sorry your hermit crab died, um....maybe that's just the way she died.

• 1 decade ago

I'm so sorry.

It was probably a fight because of her claws being detached.

Poor Coco. ;(

Source(s): I'm really really sorry.
  • 1 decade ago

I'm sorry:[

Well if she's dead, then she's dead. There's nothing you can do about it. She probably died of old age. I'm sorry for you!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.