How do you become a judge?

I always thought you have to become a lawyer first (go to law school at least) then you get promoted to be a judge

But I heard that there was one judge that was not a lawyer first. So that sparked that question in my mind on how do you become a judge? or what qualifications do you need?

I never heard of "judge" school!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

In general a judge has to be a member of the bar, but different judgeships have different rules. For instance, there are no requirements for the Supreme Court and the president could appoint anyone he wanted, lawyer, judge, or no. This doesn't happen in practice, obviously.

• Dana B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I have never heard of anywhere that allowed someone to be a judge without having a law degree. Generally you get a law degree and practice law for a while, then if you are interested in becoming a judge, if you live in a state where judges are elected, you simply run for election, and if you live in a state where judges are appointed, you start networking and putting it out there in the right ears that you'd like a position as a judge.

• 1 decade ago

judges are either elected or appointed, depending on the jurisdiction.

in a good number of jurisdictions, one does not even need to be a member of the bar, or a graduate of law school, in order to be a judge (although for the most part, judges were lawyers first).

and as an fyi, most tv judges are just attorneys who have never been real judges, and are in effect really "arbitrators" and not judges on tv.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have to be a Lawyer first or at least pass the bar exam. You will have to have practice experience. Judges are usually elected.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

common the court docket scenes. Make acquaintances with the legal experts, Solictors, settle for supplies of trial by utilising Jury! you'll be able to easily be appointed a decide in case you do no longer offend everybody! Or write to a decide like decide Judy.. compliment the decide essentially and tell him or her which you have an hobby in turning out to be a decide you will likely get some sturdy help that way! There may well be different techniques.. according to probability be a decide's secretary for a on an analogous time as might help!

• 1 decade ago

It's extremely rare. Judges are elected and most voters don't want someone who has no legal expertise sitting on a bench.

You can go here and read all about the requirements in the US:

http://www.lawforkids.org/speakup/view_question.cf...

It is a web site to explain laws and various other things to kids, not that you're a kid, but it has the info.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.