Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

I need a list of Chicago Mayors and their party affiliations from the last 125 years.?

Favorite Answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mayors_of_Chi...

----------

The one you should likely find most interesting is Anton Cermak

"Cermak's political and organizational skills helped create one of the most powerful political organizations of his day, and Cermak is considered the father of Chicago's Democratic machine. With support from Franklin D. Roosevelt on the national level, Cermak gradually wooed members of Chicago's growing black community into the Democratic fold.

When Cermak challenged the incumbent "Big Bill" Thompson in the 1931 mayor's race, Thompson, representative of Chicago's existing power structure, responded with ethnic slurs:

'I won't take a back seat to that Bohunk, Chairmock, Chermack or whatever his name is.

Tony, Tony, where's your pushcart at?

Can you picture a World's Fair mayor?

With a name like that? '

Cermak's reply, "He doesn't like my name... it's true I didn't come over on the Mayflower, but I came over as soon as I could." It was a sentiment to which ethnic Chicagoans could relate and Thompson's slur largely backfired.[2]

The flamboyant Thompson's reputation as a buffoon and the voters' disgust with the corruption of his machine and his inability or unwillingness to clean up organized crime in Chicago were cited as major factors in Cermak capturing 58% of the vote in the mayoral election on April 6, 1931. Cermak's victory finished Thompson as a political power and largely ended the Republican Party's power in Chicago — no Republican has held the office of mayor of Chicago since Thompson's exit in 1931.

Daley Sr. Daley Jr. Democrat. That's it.

Try using a search engine... Hello?

• is Google still working, or has it succumbed to The Crash of '08 too?

Source(s): The Crash of '08...that has a certain ring to it.

Wish I could help. I can guess that they are all democrats and corrupt as corrupt gets.

Me too