Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Wh agrees that politics have gotten extremely dirty?

the last two decades the national elections seem to hit a new level of mud slinging and the infighting by the losing party to start before the new president takes oath. I blame it on the Republicans because they start it going up to two years before a election and get worse the tighter it is. Who agrees?

Well your right about killing but in Texas people have been pretty vicious at the height of Bushs popularity to anyone who has even questioned his policies. I have seen it get extreme and stupid...

Sarastic if you mean the second Adams I do. Orginally I am from Tennessee and I agree perfectly with what Andrew Jackson did in running for a second time. And how he treated his oppsition. They went over the line when they attacked Rachael Jackson.

Greg I do look at my party. It lost me when it nominated George W. Bush for 2000. It lost me for good in 2004. Gore and Kerry both served in Vietnam and both could have avoided it. Bush and his daddy's V/P Dan Qyuale got cushy slots in the guard. Back then it was almost an automatic out of the war. Dick Cheney got deferments. I don't even think Karl Rove was old enough to serve. But I have no doubt he would have avoided it. Lastly when Rove told that former press secretary awhile back "never darken this door again" at the White House, I boiled. It belongs to the American people and anyone who forgets it is the one who is not an American...

Finally I find the attacks on Gore and Kerry while building up McCain and Vietnam a new level of hypocricy. Who agrees with me?

Favorite Answer

Because Americans keep accepting this nonsense from the Republicans.

With the exception of Clinton's 2 terms and Jimmy Carter's one, the Republicans have been in the White House for 40 years.

And as long as the citizens of this nation keep accepting and voting for the dirty politicking, then the Republicans will not change their tactics.

I agree. Neither party is innocent in this matter, and in an effort to be unbiased... I just really think the Republicans have thrown more "low blows" out than the Democrats have.

Two examples:

Accusing Obama of approving sex education to Kindergartners, but leaving the detail out about it being age appropriate for Good touch Bad touch

Accusing Obama for being sexist when making the lipstick on a pig comment, when McCain ON RECORD said it numerous times.

Once again, I'm sure the Dems have done some similar things, but nothing to this level... it's ridiculous.

Political "dirtiness" is not caused by or relegated to only one party. As with any fight, it takes two to tango. When we have political candidates who have squeaky clean records and are above any criticism, the mud slinging will stop. In order for that to happen, they'd have to be sheltered from their rebellious teen years of partying and drinking. And now with the internet, youtube, myspace etc. No one's embarrassing past is safe. With todays technology everything you say and do can be recorded by anyone without your knowledge. It's so much easier to find incriminating things to use against each other and if they can't find anything bad, they can always edit it so it looks incriminating.

• Mar

The past is over and if you look back you will see the Democrats had been playing this game along the way. Now Obama is being the one who going after Palin with his attorneys and any one who wants to help them with their goal he will go along with it. You can believe what you want and I hope Obama doesn't win because the really corrupting person and his Democrat Party will cause harm too unbearable for every one in this country to come through. Who do you think caused the problem on wall street from his corrupting friends that gave him favors and money along the way. Think?

Presidential camoaigning got dirty when Lee Atwater and a young Karl Rove lied and distorted the record of Michael Dukakis in 1988. The Republicans have been using scurrillous tactics ever since then.

It's been that way from the start. I'm reading "A Call to Greatness: Challenging Our Next President" and they talk about the hefty mud-slinging done from the earliest presidential races. It's always been like this.

The latest thing is a Republican group that is push polling in FL,PA and OH in predominantly Jewish areas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/15/jewish-vo...

Ironically McCain was push polled in 1980 by Rove operatives claiming he had an illegitimate black child. One of Al Franken's books "The Truth, with Jokes" has some good history of the dirty tricks played by the Republicans.

• Beth

I disagree with something you said. Hillary Clinton is the one that started this whole election process two years ago. It has been getting worse by the minute. Since she started campaigning for president a year earlier than normal, things have progressively gotten worse.

If anything - the democrats are to blame. Let's not forget that for the last eight years, democrats have done nothing but smear, smear, smear George Bush.

• Betsy

Politics have ALWAYS been extremely dirty. It is just more obvious now because of mass communication.

**edit**For the answerers here blaming one side or the other in answer to this quesion, as being neither Republican nor Democrat and being as yet undecided I can tell you honestly, it is coming from BOTh sides.

Yes, it has gotten crazy. The candidates have stopped going after each other over solid issues, and chose to sling mud and hide their hands instead. It makes me wish that there was another candidate out there to vote for, where my vote would not be wasted.