Is Sarah Palin commander in chief of the Alaskan National Guard or just her neighborhood watch.?

This scandal is as easy to follow as it is transparently outrageous. Since choosing her as VP, the McCain campaign has been trying it’s hardest to make the case that as “Commander in Chief” of the Alaskan National Guard, Sarah Palin has relevant national security experience. On August 31, the actual commander of the Alaska National Guard– Major General Craig Campbell — punctured a hole in that meme when the AP reported Campbell saying:

“[Palin plays] no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard.”

On September 3, Campbell went even further, saying:

“The Alaskan governor is not in the site’s chain of command and has no authority over its operations.”

Realizing that Campbell was severely undercutting one of the campaign’s main talking points, it appears someone leaned on him and got him to change his tune…on FOX News:

“In the last few days, I’ve been watching the press, and I’ve not been very pleased with what I’ve been seeing about the chastising of the National Guard by having it diminished by the insinuation that a commander-in-chief of the National Guard doesn’t really control the military. The National Guard has 500,000 people in it around this great country, serving in states and overseas. National Guards are state military forces run by governors, and Sarah Palin does it great.”

Now, for being a good soldier, Campbell has gotten a major promotion.

Change we can believe in, huh?

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/09...

http://vetvoice.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=6DE0F0...

Update:

Just want to call attention to the war on diabeetus using this picture http://f3.yahoofs.com/mingle/4495f7abzf7b4435f/pro...

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The National Guard can only be mobilized by the president's office and the Pentagon. A governor can only ask the president to mobilize them. A governor does not control the Guard's budget or the armament or even how many troops that can be held in their state. *A governor can use them for state emergencies but once again they have to notify the defense department of their whereabouts (and I can guarantee that a governor also asks for permission first in these times).

McCain's people using the idea of Palin leading the Alaskan arm of the National Guard just plays to voters' ignorance. It is condescending by McCain to use that as some sort of military experience for Palin... In the history of the United States we have had many governors run on a presidential ticket and I have NEVER heard any of those people claiming that they lead the Guard. It is ridiculous and an extreme exaggeration.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The truth - as I understand it - is that Palin is commander-in-chief of the Alaskan National Guard ONLY while they are in Alaska. Once they are deployed -say, to Iraq - Palin is NO LONGER their commander-in-chief, and their command falls under the rest of the US military.

In short, Palin commands them while they are at home doing nothing except practicing unless they are needed for a local disaster. When they are actually sent to war, someone with REAL experience and knowledge commands them.

Source(s): Culled from various news sources.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Apples and oranges. Read your own post.

"not in the SITE'S chain of command" refers to a specific facility operated in part by AKNG but under Federal chain of command.

"Commander-in-chief of the (Alaska) National Guard" is Palin.

• Pfo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's a simple fact that the governor of a state is the commander in chief of that state's forces. You can't debate that. You can debate the extent that Palin commanded Alaska's national guard, and argue that in her capacity of commander in chief she exercised her powers minimally, but what you can't do is declare that she was not the commander in chief of Alaska.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Palin is not in the chain of command for the National Guard. She is responsible for their pay, but not for their actions whatsoever

She has absolutely no responsibility, then to sign every year a check.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is NO doubt that Sarah Palin has MORE experience than Obama.

after all the only thing he has done IS community organizer.

the only bill Obama ever voted on as state senator of Il. was an abortion bill that would protect late term babies who survived abortion and,he voted against it and it was killed like the millions of babies he said were nothing more than BURDENS.

CHANGE??? he chose the good old boy senator (Biden) and thats supposed to be change,,give ne a break.

you libs just continue to piss in your own corn flakes don't you ?

• 1 decade ago
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

And she can see Russia from her front porch which gives her that vast and extensive foreign policy experience we keep hearing about

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She is Commander In Chief of my heart and my b0ner!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Typical republican cronyism...it's the same old song & dance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.