Receiving collection letter for debt thought taken care of through Divorce?

I have looked in the Archives, but do not find this particular situation address. A friend of mine got divorce in 2003. She is now receiving collection letters for a debt she believed was taken care of when her divorce decree was granted. The letter basically states, I know where you live, work and where your... show more I have looked in the Archives, but do not find this particular situation address. A friend of mine got divorce in 2003. She is now receiving collection letters for a debt she believed was taken care of when her divorce decree was granted. The letter basically states, I know where you live, work and where your bank accounts are located. She is spending many sleepless nights worrying about where she is suppose to come up with this money. Since her Ex is not working (drunken bum is more like it), they are coming after her. Would this be something that was directly addressed in her divorce papers??? Should she be contacting an attorney, which in turn will cost even more money. I'd like to give her some good advice but have never encountered anything like this before. She hates to ignore them for fear they will garnish her wages or get access to her bank accounts. Any help would be appreciated.
Update: My friend is in Florida, as where I live in New York. Don't know all the details other than what I have stated.