Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastSouth Africa · 1 decade ago

British colonization of South Africa?

These are some of the questions I would like to have answered! =)

How was the country colonized?

What was it like under the colonial rule? (during and afterwards)

What were the benefits and costs of colonial rule?

How was independence achieved?

All in all: What was the effect of Great Britain on South Africa?

PS: If you have any good links to information, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The history of colonization of South Africa is a complex one. Firstly part of the country which was then called the Cape Colony was colonized by the Dutch (Holland) in 1564 whereas some parts of the country where still under native people. Secondly Britain then came along a little later and fought with the Dutch over the Cape Colony defeated and drove them deep into the country where the Dutch continued fighting bitter wars with the natives but because the Dutch used more powerful weapons they won almost all the wars except for the 14 day Boer war with Basotho.

So because of these the Dutch were forced to trek Northwards towards modern day Pretoria-Johannesburg area where they established thier own Republic called Transvaal. Britain meanwhile took advantage of the fact that some of the native tribes in these territories were weakened from fighting with the Dutch and came after and conquered them like the Zulus in Kwa-Zulu-Natal, the Bangaung in Orange Free State, the Hottentots in Eastern Cape and Griqualand and also to tribes as far north as the Molopo River near Mafikeng to consolidate its position.

Thirdly in 1910 after long and protracted negotiations the Dutch and the British decided to merge together their different semi autonomous colonial territories to form the Union of South Africa which they agreed to administer together. But Britain pulled out of the agreement in 1934 in protest of the supremacy rules that were instituted by the National Party and this led to the National Party dominating the political landscape in South Africa whilst Britain totally pulled out South Africa to let it govern itself. And the rest is history up until 1994.

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

British colonization of South Africa?

These are some of the questions I would like to have answered! =)

How was the country colonized?

What was it like under the colonial rule? (during and afterwards)

What were the benefits and costs of colonial rule?

How was independence achieved?

All in all: What was the effect of Great...

Source(s): british colonization south africa: https://shortly.im/iWENP
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It was colonized by the Dutch first in 1654, later the British fought the Dutch and took over.

I was not alive under colonial rule so I would not know what it was like, orderly I would suppose.

Benefits, western culture and development.

Independence, Full independence was achieved when SA declared itself a republic.

Have a look at wikapaedia, it has a lot of info.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.