Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Why is the name 'Richard' shortened to 'Dick'?

Richard or Dick?

Favorite Answer

I have no clue and why is Bob short for Robert?

Richard

*Cutie*

• Yanda

Not sure. What a great question.

Although thinking about it, all the Richard's I've met in the past have been *****. Maybe that's it??

From another source, QUOTE: "Richard and Ricard were equally popular in the Middle Ages, and the abbreviations led naturally to diminutives--such as Rich, Richie, Rick, and Ricket. Rhyming nicknames were also fairly common in the 12th and 13th centuries, and so we also have Hitch from Rich, Hick and Dick from Rick, and Hicket from Ricket. Some of these later became surnames or parts of surnames. We note that while Dick endures as a nickname, "Hick" has thankfully become obsolete, except when tied to "Dick" in rhymes such as "Hickory, Dickory, Dock."

• I know a Richard, and he is a dick.

Source(s): My ex. Oh! And my landlord.

I think it all has to do with Little Richard...haha :P Maybe he had a little dick and hense when someone is named "Richard" we just think "Dick"? haha

I think I will just stick with "Rick". I can't imagine too many people are using "Dick" anymore due to the obvious.

• Fred

Because most of them ,are Dick's I guess?

My beau is Rick,and I know another guy the same name.I couldn't call him **** with a straight face,lol !

Maybe he was one.

• b

Why not!