If Italians speak Italian, Spaniard speak spanish.....?

Then how come Latinos do not speak latin?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Their spanish is a mixture of old latin and spanish, that's why it sounds different from the european spanish.

So in reality they do speak latin.

• Anne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

In plain speech: you are called "latinos" because the original language was based on the "Latin" rather than "Germanic" language. Latin, like German languages, are a group of languages because of their origin, but it doesn't mean they are speaking "latin" or whatever. Latin languages include Italian, Spanish and a few other. Germanic languages include German, English, Northern European etc. Over the centuries these languages mixed with the existing language of the polulation that existed in these areas. None of the "invaders" spoke Latin as such. It really depends on who populated Mexico and from my history degree I think it was the Spanish. There are some pockets of Italian and Portuguese origin in South America though. Of course, nowadays it doesn't really matter, as you have your nationality, and that is what matters.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because latinos come from latin america and they speak many diff. languages like brazilian spanish ect... and all these languages are just branches from latin like french, italian, portugeus and so on

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

italian and spanish and english are based off of latin latin is the reason why hundreds of languages exist today.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Same reason why Chinese don't speak Chinese ( they speak Mandarin, Wu, Cantonese, or Min) or why Indians don't speak Indian (they speak Hindi).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because we are not straight decedents of spain...along the line the vocab got messy...basically something like slang

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

say who??

yujilk um pei nuh jug en quey.

means .... well, look it up!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i wonder the same thing!! ^_^

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.