Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

How is Sarah Palin a fiscal conservative when she left Wasilla with mountains of debt?

During her tenure, the budget of Wasilla (population 5,469 in 2000) apart from capital projects and debt, rose from $3.9 million in fiscal 1996 to $5.8 million.

Oh yeah, Wasilla is also the meth capital of Alaska.

Favorite Answer

She's a hockey mom.

Sombody is lying, its either her or the facts,

who are you going to believe?

• John M

Let's not confuse Republicans with fiscal conservatives. Look at the Clinton Presidency. Surplus in the budget and super low mortgage interest rates. Bush presidency, 10 billion a month in Iraq, catastrophic debt, collapse of the banking system, evisceration of the rights of citizens.

A true conservative would abhor the idea of government having anything to say about what goes on in a bedroom, who can marry who, what a woman decides with her doctor, etc.

Now, all that being said, My understanding is that despite the troubles she created in building the community center in Wasilla before they owned all the land, ownership has been resolved and the center is a long term asset that is expected to bring benefits to the community well beyond it's cost. So while I think Palin carries some pretty negative baggage, I'm not sure this particular issue is really the one to go after.

• Sambo

That doesn't tell the whole story. I am not going to pretend to know the goings on in Wasilla, Alaska, but I will tell you what I do know from over 9 years experience in local government. The Sports Arena was funded in Wasilla was funded with a bond issue. Bond issues, while debt, are not that bad of a way to finance if the city can get a low interest rate. Likewise, bond issues are usually backed by a revenue pledge - in this case a sales tax revenue, if I've read correctly. As I understand it, the Arena and the bond issue was voter approved? So, what's the fuss, unless of course its by the losing political party or candidate running on sour grapes?

When I worked in government, (I worked in a town about the same size as Wasilla), we did a bond issue. The bond issue allowed us to pave roads, improve downtown, and build a civic center. The bond money was held in reserve and paid to the contractors as the projects where completed. Tax law says that if you make more interest on the bonds than you pay out, the local government must pay arbitrage. However, you can break even and we did. This bond issue allowed us to build up our fund balance reserves to a healthy 15% of budget.

I haven't seen Wasilla's financial statements, but just from the info I have seen, the sound like there in good shape. Also, Civic Centers and sports arenas never make money. Ours was used for concerts, sporting events, ect. but they never make money. So why do them? Because we built it, restuarants, hotels, and new stores moved it. That increase our overall tax base, brought in new growth, new residents, and revived downtown. Try and put a value on that, you can't. We saw an increase in property taxes and in sales taxes. Therefore, I would say that it pays for itself, even though on paper it doesn't. Again, I don't know Wasilla, but I understand the population is growing and that new stores and restuarants are moving in. Good for them.

Show me a single city or state in this country that doesn't have any debt and I will show you a city of state that is stagnate...this lady has the highest approval rating of any governor in this country, that's out of 50 states. Twenty million dollars in todays economy is a drop in the bucket as far as debt goes. Wasilla is growing by leaps and bounds so there will be debt. Anyone that has half a brain knows this is the way it works so go find something else to gig her on because this one doesn't float.

• Alysse

It's not what you think. Wasilla was growing and the people were looking at facilities that the city could use to benefit all. That was a sports complex, the issue was brought before the public and it was put on the ballot for voting. The people of Wasilla voted to fund the sports complex. Which will bring revenue in as well as meet the needs of the community.

So the people agreed to pay for it by vote and it has benefited the city as thought.

Same way all republicans are fiscal conservatives and have RUN THE NATIONAL DEBT UP TO TEN TRILLION DOLLARS

NAME THE SOURCE

thinkprogress.org/wonkroom/2008/09/03/wasilla-in-debt/

www.theseminal.com/author/lgs/

www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-89102

No onsewer will satisfy a liberal. You will only pull out the tiniest piece of info that satisfies you panicky ways.

The town voted on a sports arena, Palin had it buit, then the town had to pay for it.

She is not a fiscal conservative. She is not a conservative. She is just a hockey mom who used to look good long time ago.

How can you criticize Sarah Palin? She's running with John McCain. John McCain a war hero who spent 5 1/2 years in jail and he's the only one running that has truly fought for us! How dare you disrespect Senator John McCain. Did you know he was shot down? Do you want links to see him talking about it? He rarely talks about it. Unless he's on TV. Or in ads. Or at a convention. Or running. How dare you call him an idiot. Where's the respect? He's white. Did I tell you that? You just don't go around calling white guy war heroes idiots (did I tell you he was a POW? Well just wait, he'll tell you, next time he's in front of a microphone. He doesn't like to talk about it unless some asks him a question. Like say on real estate. The he'll reluctantly talk about it. He's a reluctant hero. Did I mention he was a POW?) So no more calling Senator McCain an idiot. It is so disrespectful. Next you'll bring up that bogus Keating 5 stuff or his adultery or his pill popping wife...now wait a minute, you can't criticize her (did I tell you she's married to a POW?) because she does charity work and most of the pills she actually GIVES away instead of takes herself because she's over that and anyways being married to a brave man like Senator McCain (did you know he is a war hero?) is very difficult what with the 25 years of being on the federal dole and not changing anything. He's now the Agent of Change. It is his most difficult assignment since he was a war hero/POW. He's going to shake up Washington and he's going to EXPOSE all those earmark whores. Did I tell you he's a war hero? Any ways, those folks sucking at the Federal teat, like Alaskans, are going to be in for a rude awakening when former POW Senator McCain becomes president and he makes those earmark lovin' politicians famous! He's got a Sharpie pen, you know! He didn't have a Sharpie pen when he was a POW.

The programs that she put in place were good for the people of Wasilla. Don't act like all cities don't have debt. It's inevitable. You could say that about any town in america. I'd also like to know where you made up this information from? Yesterday, I head someone say the debt went from $0 to $2 million. Not that a city ever has a $0 debt.

• because the people wanted a sports arena and they voted on it and got it... that was confirmed in an interview 2 weeks ago... they got what they wanted and they are upset about it?!

They knew the consequences, debt. You want a nice house, you gotta pay...want a nice car, you gotta pay.

I haven't heard the town complain about it, I've heard democrates bring it up to use as fuel for the fire.

Government by the people FOR the people, that is what she did. So, tell me again, what did she do that was so wrong?

For the record, what town DOESN'T have debt?

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!

Source(s): McCain/Paulin in 2008....