Definition of biweekly?

There are two definitions:

1. Occurring twice a week

2. Occurring once every two weeks

Am I the only one that thinks the word should just mean one or the other, and not both?

I thought Biannual meant once every two years, but it actually means twice a year. That was why I got confused.

• Lineya
    Favorite Answer

1. Occurring twice a week is more correct in my opinion. And use "Fortnightly" for once every two weeks.

There is much debate in grammatical circles about this one, but I think it was something like 70% of english scholars would say "bi-weekly", "bi-annual" etc means twice in that period.

Personally I think it's safest to just avoid confusion and say "twice a week", or "fortnightly". Bi- is a messy prefix!

Additional: If it's regarding a mortgage, mortgage companies insist on using bi-weekly to mean once a fortnight.

The definintion of "biweekly" means once every two weeks, as 1976 was our country's bicentennial (200 years). A previous answer wrote about "fortnightly", but the the proper term is a fortnight, meaning two weeks. Twice a week would be semi-weekly, as in semi-anually (twice a year).

Think of it like this: A one wheeled bike is a unicycle, a two wheeled bike is a bicycle, and a three wheeled bike is a tricycle.

Think about the prefix "semi". The terms semi-circle, A semi trailer on an eighteen wheeler, or semi-concious all mean half of a greater whole.

I hope this helps.

2. occurring once every two weeks

I personally use it for twice a week, and use semiweekly for every two weeks.

2. once every two weeks.

once every two weeks

Once every two weeks..../

I agree with Lineya. You can look it up in Mirriam Webster online.