Whats the difference between a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and Intel Xeon X3360? I will be using on a 780i motherboard?

I have a 780i motherboard and am looking to install one of these processors into it. I know the Q9550 is a desktop CPU & That the Xeon X3360 is a server CPU, but what are the major differences? They both have the same specs as far as I know and are in the same price range. I also have plans to overclock in the future.

Which is better and which will perform best on a 780i Motherboard?

(If a Xeon processor can be put on a 780i motherboard, I do not know)

• Mark N
    Best Answer

You can use it on your 780i board... It is supposed to be running cooler than the regular desktop models of Intel's quad core processor. People are saying it is overclocking very well also... The only thing will be if you have to flash the bios to accept the 45nm processor tech. But that is no biggy...

Intel Xeon X3360

quad core Q9550 and Xeon X3360 has the same clock speed which is 2.83ghz. but right now we look processor not on their clock speed. but on the number of core! if quad core has 4 core then how many core does xeon have? well as far as i know xeon has a lot of series. but speaking of 33xx series it has 2x quad core. so i think xeon is the much faster than quad core.

yes,u have best processors.the difference is clock speed and cores is more in xeon processor when compared to quad core.xeon has multi core options and clock speed up to 3.60ghz.