Community College Vs. University College? ?

Whats main/big differences?

I'm a senior in high school in Michigan and planning to go to collage.

My two points of view are community college is much cheaper and I could just get my prerequisites done then transfer to a university.

At same time I could go to a university ange the whole "college experience", and that's not saying just partying but living on my own sort of, and the whole package. Living on school.

My gpa is 3.3-3.4 and I have a 23 on my ACT, im going to re-take it and I feel i could do better.

University would be:

Central, Grand Valley, State, Western, Or Oakland University

Community College is Oakland Community College

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The biggest question is what does one want for the "College Experience".

The drinking? The Sororities or Fraternities? the Football games?

Remember the purpose of college is to get your education.

As an Academic Councilor for a college and an MBA student, my recommendation is to complete your Associates Degree at your local community college. First, It won't break your parent's budget. Second, you won't be distracted by the College Experience as noted above. Third, by the time you hit University, you will be two years older and more ready to handle the stresses of Living away from home and having to deal with those so much older than you.

Remember how you felt as a HS Freshman? Coming from Middle School, where you were the Senior, to being a 13 or 14 yr old having to deal with 16, 17 and 18 year olds. Remember how you felt?

Just think about the extra pressure of being a 17 yr old at College with 21 and 22 yr olds?

You will be better prepared if you enter University at age 19.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck to you.

PS. Be nice to your parents if you want them to pay!

• 1 decade ago

Honestly most people do better at a community college than they do when they start off at a University. Go to a community college - you will like the professors more and they are really there for the student unlike at a university where the professors are there only for their research and they have their assistants teaching classes. And the assistants are underpaid grad students.

Transfer students usually do really well at the University and it is much smarter to save the $$ on your first two years - and the come out with a degree from the university - but without the big tuition bill. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You get the same quality of education at a community college, but for a fraction of the cost, which is one of the major reasons I chose to go to a community college.

Here's a list of 10 reasons to choose a community college instead of university:

http://www.quazen.com/Kids-and-Teens/College-Life/...

• 1 decade ago

I say go for community college. It's soo much cheaper and prepares you for a university.

I don't recommend it if your going into the medical field or law program.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.