How to tell my roommate I hate the air fresheners she put in? ?

My roommate bought some scented oil plug-ins over the weekend and plugged them in last night without telling me she bought them. Well, they smell freakin awful!!!

What should I do? I was thinking of going on a secret mission and poking holes in the air fresheners so they leak and get used up faster.

What do you think?? I need major help!

Fallen Angel - yeah, she kinda does have to ask me since she put TWO of them in our shared living space!! they are not in her room, they are in the kitchen and living room!!!

Best Answer

Option 1:You could tell her the truth; tell her that you don't like the air fresheners that she bought and you think that they should go.

Option 2: Or, if you don't want to use option 1, you could always just empty them or, your idea, poke holes in them - whatever works. Then you could say, "Oh! We're out of air fresheners! I'll go buy some more!" And then you could go and buy some that you like.

Option 3: You could go shopping with her and pick out a few of them.

Option 4:Another thing that you could do is get a friend without a conscious and have him or her walk into the room and say, "Man! That stinks! What is that foul odor?!" or something like that.

Whichever you prefer.

I hope I helped.

Maybe buy a different air freshener and suggest you use those. You could tell her you prefer more subtle scents, or that you have a very sensitive nose and her air fresheners are a little too strong. If that doesn't work, maybe try compromising and saying she can have them every other week or only keep them on when you're not there. Remember, it's your room too so you should have just as much say in how it smells as she does.

• BudLt

I had a housekeeper that bought those and I went insane trying to figure out a way to tell her that I hated them. I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I told her I was allergic to the smell, that it was causing my eyes to itch. Told her to take them home even though she paid for them with my money. Anything, just get them out of here. Air fresheners and incense are not needed if your house is clean and you cook good food. They just cover up the smell of a warm lived in home.

Tell her "I was wondering, could you pleeasssee change the air freshener? I mean, you probably like them, but they give me a headache/ i think i'm getting an allergic reaction. It would be really nice if you could take them out or change them or something."

dont beat around the bush.

If it doesnt work, then I 100% recommend making holes. :D

Just tell her that you don't like them... why does everything have to be a problem now a days? Communication is key to any relationship ..whats the big deal? They are just plug in air fresheners right? WHO CARES!

most plug ins have a dial that determines their strength. Try turning that down. If that doesn't work then ask her if she minded if you guys picked out a scent that you both like. Make an outing of it. She'll appreciate you for being honest.

• jrbw01

Maybe she's trying to tell you something about the smell of the house. Ask her and if she says no, then say, "well, they have been giving me a headache and I think they're too strong. Can you just put them in your bedroom?

• Kallis

"I hate the smell of the air fresheners you put in." Sometimes subtlety doesn't work, especially with roommates. If she is brassy enough to not check with you about something so intrusive, you probably shuld be equally -- uh, unambiguous.

Tell her that you appreciate the thought but try a diff scent cuz it's not exactly ur fav

Some of these things are downright dangerous. Some are prone to cause fires and some release toxic chemicals that can cause health problems. Best thing is not to use this sort of product at all.