Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

Debt help please? any advice ?

first of all i am married with two children, somehow we have managed to dig our selves into huge debt, around £40.000! (getting married etc) we have only been married a year and this is putting huge strain on our relationship. My husband works full time and earns £23,000 a year. I do not work as our children are very young and even if i did, i would have to put them into childcare costing more than i could earn,so thats not a option. We have been refused a IVA. The only people who seam willing to help are cons who want £800 up front. All of our money goes straight out each month, i dont know what to do, we have no luxury's or anything either, just a car which we need for my husbands job. Im so scared as its Christmas coming up and my little girls are gonna suffer. Any advice on what we can do?

No stupid answers please

thank you

Favorite Answer

go straight to your local citizens advice bureau. they are sure to help.

You don't say how old your children are but unless they are more than 6, they certainly aren't going to suffer with just a simple gift. You can string popcorn for decorations and they will love the holidays! There are also charities who help families with gifts for the children.

Why don't you take in another child to care for, which will help another mother and give you some additional income? Or, find another mother who has similar interests and do a job-share where you each work half time and care for each other's children.

Luxuries? That is probably what got you into this problem. Now you need to cut back everything and shop very carefully.

You may think this is a stupid answer, but believe me, I had it rough for a few years when my children were very young so I know how to get through it.

First of all you have got to find a way to make more money. Your hubby works so could you get a part-time job at nights or on weekends when he could watch the kids?(remember its not permanent - its only temporary until you pay off some of your debt) Also cut up all credit cards. Make yourself a budget you can stick to. Try to find ways to cut spending - cut back on groceries, cut your air conditioner up, don't eat out - eat rice and beans etc. Remember its not for the rest of your life.

Source(s): www.daveramsey.com

see if you can find ways to cut some corners like more rice and beans have a yard sale etc. There is no easy answer but the children are small and while they have wants you must cover the needs first

go talk to a lawyer and go bankrupt you have too much debt to do anything else as far as I can see