What are the benefits moving from Annapolis, MD to Houston, TX?

Im thinking about taking a job in Houston TX...but I want to make sure that this move makes sense to me. This move will be my first out of state, and I will not know anyone there, + I will be leaving my lady friend of 4.5 years...

Ahhhhhhh, help me paint a picture of what it will really be like for me...

Favorite Answer

Honestly, I live in Houston and want to move to Annapolis. So I probably will be a bit biased but here it is.

DISADVANTAGES

>If you think Annapolis is humid, wait till you see Houston. The weather here is gross 98% of the year.

>You lose white winters. It like never snows in Houston.

>You lose the quaintness of a small town. Houston is the 4th largest city so the vibe is totally different.

>Houston is ridiculously polluted.

>You can't travel from one place to the next in a matter of 30 minutes like in Annapolis (to Baltimore, D.C, etc.). It takes A DAY of driving to even get out of Texas.

>You lose the sense of historical purpose that Annapolis has. Houston is not historical. Whatsoever.

>There is not a Cheeburger Cheeburger or Chick and Ruths Delly in Houston. :(

>The awesome, beautifull Naval Acadey is no longer at your doorstep.

the list goes on and on

ADVANTAGES

>Housing is MUCH more affordable in Houston. MUCH.MUCH.MUCH

>BARBEQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yum!

>Texas really does have amazing people. Strangers always say "hello!" to you. You will be surprised at how huge Texan's hearts are.

>It is a new oppourtunity for you. Start fresh, advance in your career. Whatever it may be. Ultimately it is your choice. Console in your friends and family to help you make the right decision.

Hope I provided you a little (biased, sorry) insight.

Good Luck!!!

Personally, I dont think you'll like it. I moved to Houston from PA for a job and hated it! I ended up coming back to PA (and losing alot of money doing it).

Its VERY hot and commercial there. ITs not like the norhteast at all.

Everything is huge...from the highways to the supermarkets. I felt really lost. I couldnt even find a cute little corner bar to have a drink in...they were all huge pool halls and sports bars. All the restaraunts were chains...nothing ma and pa.

I would stay in Annapolis, Md. Why would you want to leave Annapolis? It is such a nice place!

The biggest benefit I can think of is that you would be able to attend the Sam Houston Institute of Technology. It is known by it's acronym. =)

southern. i like houston and think annapolis is a dump and that would be a step up. it'll certainly be cheaper and less humid. you probably wont fit in