Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is it true? Dukes University tested 100 patients on the power of prayer?

And they concluded truth, the 50 prayed on all recovered to different extents whilst the other 50 some even died?

I heard it from some christian who heard it from a pastor. But i research on it myself and it's actually a very popular story if you type 'duke university study prayer' on google, only it was a study on 748 patients and the results turned in no correlation between prayer and healing. So is this guy or that pastor just lying or does someone actually know which study they were talking about?

When i confronted the guy about this he said it was a different study, plus he also said that the media are lying about the truth, which i think is RIDICULOUS. When I explain to him how ridiculous that is i think his next excuse would be something like 'don't test god'.

(report whores get out)

Favorite Answer

There have been several scientific studies which show absolutely no correlation with prayer and positive outcomes.

The only studies that find prayer beneficial are the churches own studies.

The most extensive study is this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.ht...

As you can see when you properly control out the placebo effect prayer has absolutely no effect.

Yours sounds like an urban legend. Notice how you don't have a source? There has never been a study that controlled for the placebo effect that has shown that prayer has any effect. 100 subjects wouldn't be enough in any case.

actually I have no idea about what studies you have looked at but science has already proven the power of prayer, just not in the ways the prayer believers want to hear.

It is proven by science that prayer helps, but it is because it relaxes and gives people faith, not because some God is answering thier prayers. The same is true with meditation and spas.

I dont know... Thomas Edison did say that the only faculty of science not yet touched was on the study on prayer. At least someones doing something about it

I saw that study on Good Morning America. I would say that if it made a news show that's that credible there is probably some truth to it.

i don't know prayer is kinda like the chi thing you have too really believe it in order for it to work and most christians i know are usually skeptics of their own religion

Source(s): cX blahblah i think you make a good point sorry for getting your name wrong i have terrible memory
  • Esther

I couldn't care less what Duke University says. God answers prayer, He has for me.

More lying for jesus.

It's funny how lying is wrong, according to their beliefs....unless it's lying to try and prove that christianity is right.

• S K

You can't get much more scientific than that.