Can anyone tell me how the phrase" lot in life" came about? ?

I am looking for information on the phrase "lot in life". Does it have anything to do with the fact that in Genesis 13, Abram and Lot part ways and the way that Lot goes is not the best choice? Any help or a reference site would be great!! Thanks so much

7 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your lot in life is your fate, the (card game reference) hand you were dealt.

Villages in several parts of the world would periodically redistribute the assigned use of parcels of communally owned agricultural land by drawing lots. When/where lands were owned/controlled by feudal lords, lot use was assigned by them on whatever basis they chose. The type and quality of an allotted parcel, however chosen, as well as the availability of water and other resources, would determine whether it could best be used as orchard, cropland, or pasturage; the amount and type of work necessary to make it yield a living; thus it set an upper limit on the degree to which a family could prosper. As it was very difficult -- in some times and places it was illegal --for villagers to just up and go elsewhere, their lot in life was literally dependent upon their lot.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Lot In Life Meaning

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Lot In Life Definition

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can anyone tell me how the phrase" lot in life" came about? ?

I am looking for information on the phrase "lot in life". Does it have anything to do with the fact that in Genesis 13, Abram and Lot part ways and the way that Lot goes is not the best choice? Any help or a reference site would be great!! Thanks so much

Source(s): phrase lot life about: https://tr.im/BQb64
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It appears that the word lot has nothing to do with the Biblical Lot. It means a portion or share, basically, so your 'lot in life' is just your share of whatever things people get in life. It just became a phrase people use because it works, it's brief, and it's easy to understand.

• 5 years ago

NIV ecclesiastes 9 vs 9 enjoy life with your wife, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun-all your meaningless days. for this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun.

• 1 decade ago

It isn't much, but maybe this will help?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/5/message...

Source(s): google search :B
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.