Tracy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

“a swirling mass of sth”?

Does “a swirling mass of sth” describe things in disorder or things arranged in a spiral way? I guess the former make sense but I am not sure. Could you help?

Example: You can literally see the result 1,000 miles (1,600 km) west of San Francisco in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a swirling mass of plastic debris twice the size of Texas.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

swirling mass wouldn't have to mean spiral, but it does mean the stuff is moving, in a circular or hurricane like pattern.

Hey! That's either my mother-in-law kicking it up on the dance floor, or my wife stirring up vittles on the stove. You're quite welcome to either one by the way. And I guaranty you if you eat the the vittles than dance with my sweating-slab of a mother-in-law, you'll find a perfect example of a "swirling mass of something" when you flush the toilet after the 45 minutes or so you're sure to spend in the can purging your bowels.