Asian in South Africa?

I'm an 18 year old asian. I want to visit South Africa just for a holiday. Is it safe for me (Asians) to go there?

• SFdude
    Favorite Answer

As safe as it is for anyone else. Read into that what you will. But basically, criminals target those who present the appearance of having money. They're not particularly picky about your nationality.

You should take the same precautions as any other tourist to Southern Africa. Avoid open displays of wealth (e.g. expensive jewelry, clothes, or cameras). Do not stray into "no go" areas of the cities. Do not go out at night unless you're with a trustworthy local. Do not treat wild animals like they're pets (no matter how "cute" they might seem). Use private transport or metered taxis only. If you're driving, only park in areas with an attendant. Be especially vigilant around ATMs. And when in doubt, don't hesitate to join an organized tour. There's safety in numbers.

There are over 1.2 million Asians living in South Africa. The vast majority (one million) are from the Indian sub-continent. At around 100,000, the Chinese form the second largest group. There are also smaller communities of Vietnamese and Thai. Although the Japanese don't stay, they are always omnipresent because of tourism (as they are everywhere else in the world).

South Africa is a beautiful country. And it is well worth a visit. It is home to one of the world's most important anthropological sites (the Cradle of Humankind). It has one of the planet's most diverse ecologies, as well as the most popular safari operations. Then there's the tenacity of the South Africans themselves. It is amazing that a people who've suffered so horribly - through a seemingly endless chain of natural disasters, wars, and diseases - could remain so hopeful and optimistic.

I am 41 and have lived in South africa all my life. Have been to Europe and the difference safety wise is that you can't go out here at night for a walk. Certain areas are more dangerous than others.I would still recommend you visit. Cape Town and the Garden Route are a must see. Maybe a tour group is a good idea for you. Give us a try!

There are many Asian people in South Africa.

You are fortunate because you will probably be absorbed by the Asian Community here during your visit and they will make sure that you are always taken care of.

Enjoyy your visit.

Yes it is safe to visit this beautiful country if ours. . .U would just have to take precaution as in any other country. . .Dont invite thugs towards you by making it known that you a tourist. . .

I really hope that you visit our country and have a splendid time

Source(s): Asian living in South Africa for the past 23 years and many many more to come.

Plz dont come with lil radios and cheap tv's!

Yes, it's fine.