? asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

McCain, Palin and "Troopergate" - Why is information from the GOP V.P. candidate being withheld?

The presidential campaign of Sen. John McCain is trying to put to rest the ethical controversy that's come to be known as "Troopergate," releasing e-mails supporting Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's contention that she dismissed her public safety commissioner over budget disagreements, not because he wouldn't fire her ex-brother-in-law.

And, the campaign says, Palin is unlikely to speak with an investigator hired by the state legislature to look into the matter...

THE QUESTION: Why are Republicans stonewalling on this issue? Why is Gov. Palin choosing NOT to speak with an Investigator hired by the Alaska State legislature? Is she above questioning? Haven't we had enough of this type of behavior from the current presidential administration?

Update:

BTW, folks - This investigation began PRIOR TO her selection as GOP VP candidacy... so HOW did Obama instigate this probe??

Update 2:

The controversy erupted in the weeks following the firing, as it emerged that Palin, her husband, Todd, and several high-level staffers had contacted Monegan about state trooper Mike Wooten, who had gone through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister before she became governor.

While Monegan says no one from the administration ever told him directly to fire Wooten, he says they didn't have to: There was nothing subtle about the repeated contacts.

In July, the four Democrats and EIGHT REPUBLICANS on Alaska's Legislative Council voted unanimously to investigate the circumstances of Monegan's dismissal. Although Monegan was an at-will employee who could be fired for almost any reason, lawmakers wanted to see whether Palin tried to use her office to settle a personal score with Wooten.

This press release came FROM THE McCAIN camp TODAY:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-ap...

Update 3:

P.S. - I'm a REPUBLICAN!!

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because ... IT - the Investigation Team is ALL Democrats - IT is NOT BiPartisan and / or FAIR at all !!!

Would JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama submit to an ALL Republican investigation into his family, friends, and associates ?? ... N O ! ! ! !

The MAIN, bad idea of Obama, that I believe ALL True Americans should research and READ is .. Obama's Global Poverty Act (S.2433) which will surrender America's sovereignty to the United Nations !!

I .. HAVE .. and .. WILL .. Vote for the BEST person for the job !!

JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama is NOT the Best person to be THE President of THE United States of America !!!

Why would WE want ANYONE that does not have ANY mangerial experience to TRY to be THE President of THE United States of America ???

Can YOU get over the FACT that JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama IS going to turn over the sovereignty of the United States to the United Nations ???

ALL ... TRUE Americans need to READ the Global Poverty Act (S.2433) !!!

Governors MANAGE ENTIRE STATES !!!

JUNIOR U.S. Senators TRY to Legislate !!!

JUNIOR U. S. Senator Obama did NOT complete his FIRST term in office !!

... with just 143 days of ACTUAL experience

... HE decided

... that he DESERVED to be THE President of THE United States of America !!!

JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama, the Unions, and the Democrats are sending messages to big business to downsize in America and send more jobs to foreign countries.

Brilliant ideas from JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama, the Democrats and the Unions (SARCASM) !!!!

MOST JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama Supporters do NOT care about his ideals and policies ... they JUST WANT AN AFRICAN AMERICAN as President !!!

I have NO problem voting for an African American or a woman or any other minorty as long as they are the BEST PERSON for the position !!!

JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama is NOT the BEST person to be OUR President of THE United States of America !!

JUNIOR U.S. Senator Obama is ANTI-American.

WE NEED to start doing the "REPORT ABUSE" Button on the ABUSIVE Obama Supporters for EVERY LITTLE ... POSSIBLE ... Violation, like they do to the rest of the people on here !!!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pfo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think the most important piece of evidence is the fact that Mike Wooten, the brother-in-law in question, still has his job.

The investigator is an outspoken Obama supporter. I am not aware of any direct ties to Obama or his campaign and I suspect their are none, but this man supports the opposition candidate to Palin and is in a position to enhance Obama's campaign. This makes his work a conflict of interest, he might be inclined to condemn Palin regardless of the truth.

Furthermore, it is standard procedure to not talk to the media about ongoing investigations. Reporting positively or negatively can inject bias into the investigation, so it's not done. It doesn't matter what party you belong to, this is just how it works.

• 1 decade ago

Check out this site from Alaska. You will see the Real Sarah Palin! But sure to watch the Video, you can see it with your own eyes. Also note, as Governor, she filed a lawsuit against the Federal Government because the Federal Government wanted to banned such activity.

http://www.grizzlybay.org/SarahPalinInfoPage.htm

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bill Clinton and "Troopergate" - Why was information from the DEM Presidential candidate withheld?

The presidential campaign of Gov. Bill Clinton was trying to put to rest the ethical controversy that's come to be known as "Troopergate,"

And, the campaign says, Clinton is unlikely to speak with an investigator hired by the state legislature to look into the matter...

THE QUESTION: Why were Democrats stonewalling on this issue? Why was Gov. Clinton choosing NOT to speak with an Investigator hired by the Arkansas State legislature? Was he above questioning? Haven't we had enough of this type of behavior from the Clinton administration?

Source(s): "Troopergate" Terminology from the Clinton days.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • N
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I think that she is avoiding it because she does not want to get herself into a bigger mess than she already is. I think that it is highly unlikely that anyone can think that the entire state of Alaska and their legislature is "tainted" when she was voted in and ran Alaska for so long. I do not think it sheds a positive light on her though. If she knows that she did nothing wrong then the truth is on her side and if she believes in the American government then she should believe that justice will prevail.

Why run from the cops when you are innocent. lol

:)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will not cooperate with a "tainted" legislative investigation into the firing of her public safety commissioner, the McCain-Palin campaign announced Monday, accusing supporters of Democratic rival Barack Obama of manipulating the probe for political motivations.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Withheld???????

It is front page everywhere.

The question is why is the left wing media covering up the fact that the State police officer was being investigated for using a taser to discipline his child; 11 year old child. Everyone should call for his being fired. The uncle of that child did call for firing the officer, the uncle is Sarah Palin's husband. Good for Mr. Palin.

• 1 decade ago

"I see Obama's "different kind of politics" have evolved into one smear and lie after another. Pretty impressive guy. "

It's only a smear and a lie if it isn't true. I would just like to know, one way or the other.

• 1 decade ago

Republicans have a hard habit of pretending something doesn't exist, so that maybe it will just go away. Bush's admin has proven that for over 8 years.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They are not. This is all bs. The investigator on the matter (a Democrat) said there was no wrong doing. Look up info before making an azz out of yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.