Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Is it true that Sarah Palin tried to get the following books banned from an Alaskan library..?

... and attempted to get the Librarian removed when she refused to act?

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

> A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Eng le

> Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

> As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

> Blubber by Judy Blume

> Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

> Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

> Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

> Carrie by Stephen King

> Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

> Christine by Stephen King

> Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau

> Cujo by Stephen King

> Curses, Hexes, and Spells by Daniel Cohen

> Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

> Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Peck

> Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

> Decameron by Boccaccio

> East of Eden by John Steinbeck

> Fallen Angels by Walter Myers

> Fanny Hill (Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure) by John Cleland

> Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes

> Forever by Judy Blume

> Grendel by John Champlin Gardner

> Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam

> Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

> Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

> Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban by J.K. R owling

> Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

> Have to Go by Robert Munsch

> Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman

> How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

> Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

> I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

> Impressions edited by Jack Booth

> In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

> It's Okay if You Don't Love Me by Norma Klein

> James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

> Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

> Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

> Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

> Lord of the Flies by William Golding

> Love is One of the Choices by Norma Klein

> Lysistrata by Aristophanes

> More Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz

> My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier

> My House by Nikki Giovanni

> My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara

> Night Chills by Dean Koontz

> Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

> On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer

> One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

> One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

> One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

> Ordinary People by Judith Guest

> Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women's Health Collective

> Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

> Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl

> Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz

> Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz

> Separate Peace by John Knowles

> Silas Marner by George Eliot

> Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

> Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

> The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

> The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

> The Bastard by John Jakes

> The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

> The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

> The Color Purple by Alice Walker

> The Devil's Alternative by Frederick Forsyth

> The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs

> The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

> The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson

> The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

> The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Snyder

> The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks

> The Living Bible by William C. Bower

> The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare

> The New Teenage Body Book by Kathy McCoy and Charles Wibbelsman

> The Pigman by Paul Zindel

> The Seduction of Peter S. by Lawrence Sanders

> The Shining by Stephen King

> The Witches by Roald Dahl

> The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Snyder

> Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume

> To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

> Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

> Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff

> Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the Halloween

> Symbols by Edna Barth

Update:

Rusty Varner: The source was a friend who emailed the list to me. My question didn't ask: 'Is it acceptable for an unqualified ex-beauty queen with little experience to try to ban wonderful books from an Alaskan library?' It was a genuine enquiry as to if there was any truth the matter. Most of the responses seem to confirm that there is!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • john m
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

During Krystal Nacht which was the night the Nazis destroyed Synagogues and killed Jews for nothing other than being Jewish books were also burned in large piles outside libraries and universities and schools in Germany an observer was quoted as saying words to these effect:When you burn books what comes next are people.

This is only another indicator of the evil residing in a section of American Society that has hijacked the Political progress and the free determination of all Americans to pursue knowledge granted under the American Constitution.

The Bill of Rights that all Americans once enjoyed has been eroded,reduced and practically destroyed by the Patriot act 1 and 2.

I do not doubt for 1 minute that this person known to the world as Sarah Palin tried to see if She could exert her ignorant and malicious influence to interfere and deny Alaskans the freedom of thought that all free-loving people take for granted.I also note that Mien Kampf a book written by another evil lunatic whose thought process led to the death of millions of people in Europe was not on the list.What does that alone tell you about the literary education and opinion of this person?Any form of censorship implied or hypothetical is the thin edge of the wedge to control the thoughts of what people read and deny the writers the oppertunity to create from their source of knowledge and wisdom.Anybody with sense knows that a book can either be fiction or non-fiction.Take the Bible for instance.Until the council of Trent this divinely inspired book was added to and subtracted from therefore the presumption that Evangelical Christians assume is flawed and wrong.Off course you cannot argue with anyone who takes the posistion wherein they state that they are right because God within their minds has stated so.This is why the American Constitution was a beacon of light when it was first formed by the founding Fathers because it came from European Ideas based on freedom of thought.The insidious evil of thought control is always backed up by either religion or ideology.With Ideology we can using Politics change what lies we are being told.With Religion we cannot for the cowards that use religion hide behind God to enforce their views and opinions.As most people who support this person are of the opinion that their view of life is the only right view i.e,creationism,pro-life and rapturism based on a mis-interpreted passage in the Bible and as they have organised their support through funds and lobbyist then what you have is a form of Anti-Christian Facism were if you offer an alternative and different opinion you are then of the Devil,unpatriotic and within your heart and mind are dangerous to America.This election has also been manipulated to avoid the real issues and has become a battle between a Black Man and a Woman.Race versus Sex and this then deflects from the attributes of both candidates.It is a great pity that Hilary Clinton did not join with Mr Barack because Mrs Clinton would have been a great foil to riposte and show Mrs Palin up for what she is.A dangerous ignorant person from a state that has less of a population than most mid-size American Cities.There are in excess of 250 million people in the USA do they seriously want or need this type of person within their Government at the 2nd highest posistion?

I will leave you to make that conclusion.

What strikes me is how much longer are Americans going to allow the rest of the world to think that this nation who epitomised the consensus of freedom of thought ,to think they are a nation of ignoramasus?

Where have the journalists and commentators gone who once stood up and exposed this type of thinking?

The American nation has turned their Political process into a circus show where glitz and glamour are wrapped in sound-bites and point scoring whilst the world enters a dangerous phase of its very existence.

How anyone can defend this person for even suggesting this crypto facist plan also makes me realise that the United States of Aggression is now leaderless and more dangerous due to the nightmare of Anti-Christian Fundamentalists having too much influence and need to be stopped before more damage is done.

It is a shame that this great nation is now reduced to reflect the mind-set of a thief and ignorant liar who is standing in this Political contest and I shudder to think of that outcome if this person is elected.

• 1 decade ago

To: "President Obama" - None of those books were published after Palin's term as governor began. These are all old books, most of which have been on banned lists before. Fanny Hill, Huckleberry Finn, A Clockwork Orange, Catch-22. Point out one book on that list that was published less than a decade ago.

To answer, apparently Palin clarified that she "hypothetically" asked the librarian about removing these books. She said "What would your response be if I asked you to remove some books from the collection?" After which, the librarian gave a negative response.

If you ask me that's so close to someone asking to have books banned, it isn't funny. So what if she didn't say "I demand you to ban these books"? Saying something to the tune of "Would you remove books if someone requested you to"? Is basically the same thing. Come on, what do you think would have followed if the librarian had said "yes"?

As far as whether or not there was an actual list drawn up, several sources say "no."

EDIT: Even factcheck.org acknowledges that Palin did indeed ask a "what if" question to the librarian regarding the banning of books. Why would anyone do that if they were against the banning of books? As far as I know the reason is something she has yet to clarify. Just think about it. http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_pa...

EDIT: Even this article about the McCain camp's response to these claims states that [the librarian] ... heard from Palin in the abstract on the issue of whether books could be pulled from library stacks.: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/09/mccain-ca...

EDIT: "Rayne Storm" - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (most recent on the list) Published in 2000. 2 years short of 1 decade ago. This book was still published 6 years before Palin assumed office.

Source(s): I worked in library science (public library & university library) for over 7 years. http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?art...
  • 3 years ago

Sure it is acceptable for anyone to try to get certain books banned from their public library.

• Rayne
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

@Diamond Doll: Harry Potter

And there was NO list at all

You can verify these lies with Snopes and Fact Check

http://snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The list is false from what I understand.

But she did inquire, the librarian said it would be unacceptable.

Then she recieved a letter for Palin abotu being fired.

• so, HYPOTHETICALLY .... Why would ANYBODY even bother ASKING if they would agree to ban a list of books ...

why would they do that ...

and such classics ...

the grapes of Wrath

To Kill a Mockingbird

One flew over the Cuckoos Nest ..

etc

etc...

• 1 decade ago

No.http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_pa...

We notice you didn't cite a source.

Is it your latest email from OBamabot Central or did you copy and paste that from the dailykos?

• 1 decade ago

No, that's not true. Sarah Palin asked the librarian *hypothetically* if she would be willing to remove books if any parents ever asked her to do so. The librarian responded that she would not remove any book and that was the end of it. Palin was not trying to get any books removed.

• 1 decade ago

you left out a few names.

• 1 decade ago

Is this the hole content of an Alaskan library

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.