where does the saying "there she blows" originate from?

im having a bet with my father. He thinks it comes from when pirates spot a whale. I say that its what pirates say when they see another ship. Please.... enlighten us!!!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

originates from a quote in the famous 1851 classical novel Moby Dick, or, The Whale

Go ahead dad do your victory dance

• Dan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Sorry, but both of you are wrong. When whales surface to get air, they blow out the carbon dioxide that is in their lungs, and this causes what looks like a geyser which is visible. The lookouts on whaling ships that sought these whales, shouted "Thar she blows" to let the officers know that there were whales in the vicinity. This was done for many years, and was finally immortalized in the novel "Moby Dick."

Pirates cared nothing at all about whales, and if the lookouts saw another ship cried "Sail ho" and which direction to inform the officers.

When yelling from the lookouts perch in the crow's nest, calls must be short and shrill, or they would be lost in the wind.

Regards,

Dan

• 1 decade ago

It's definetely not when you see another ship. In that case you would say something like "Ship on the starboard bow!" or something.

I'm sure that it originates from Herman Melville's novel Moby Dick referring to the blowhole of the white whale.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/xX9uD

In the Odyssey by Homer, Odysseus was given 4 bags by the god of wind and was told to open it after nine days and it would take him back home ot Ithaca. His men thought he was hiding food or gold or something like that from them so they decide to opened them. But as soon as they did the wind blew so hard that it broke through the mast and it blew a lot of the men out of the boat. I hadn't heard the idiom used before, but I imagine it eludes to this story.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Thar She Blows

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

where does the saying "there she blows" originate from?

im having a bet with my father. He thinks it comes from when pirates spot a whale. I say that its what pirates say when they see another ship. Please.... enlighten us!!!

Source(s): blows originate from: https://bitly.im/Z1BgV
  • 5 years ago

Probably from some politician, means talking hot air.

• 1 decade ago

Your Dad's right. It refers to a whale surfacing and spouting water out its blowhole.

• 1 decade ago

i always thought it referred to when a whale shot the water around his/her blowhole into the air.

• 4 years ago

That's what I say when I see your mom.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.