Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do people envy Alaskan's and our PFD's?

People can laugh all they want at Sara Palin and make fun of her but this year our PFD's are $3,269 for every family member. While the rest of the country is in a major depression Alaskan's were out buying Big Screen TV's on Saturday. Sara Palin must be doing something right up here! Hooray for Sara!

Not everyone in Alaska is a recovering alcoholic or drug addict. I know the addiction is high here but you should have been to Walmart on Saturday. I am sure alot of my neighbors were buying as much drugs and alcohol possible however. That is one reason I want to leave Alaska but it's everywhere. When I lived in Washington State there were cops who were dealing in drugs. So, it's not just Alaska.

Favorite Answer

I would cheer if I thought most Alaskans were buying big screens with their dividends. Unfortunately, too many have drug and alcohol problems, which is where I suspect plenty of the money goes. I would know. I've been working in an organization that helps those Alaskans recover.

Would you boo Sarah if I told you stories about the Native Youth up there? About their alcoholism, loss of cultural customs, their abusive families and record-breaking suicide rates? If I told you about the dearth of services they have? Would you blame Sarah? You shouldn't. Why?

Because most of the good and bad things about Alaska have absolutely nothing to do with Sarah Palin.

yes... walmart.. where every good american should shop. let's support china's economy!!

big deal! I work my butt off for my money and I am not envious of your government handout. you seem to forget that you are actually part of america don't you?? do most alaskans forget that they are part of america too? Oh yeah.. SaraH (with an "H") is not the one that handed you a check. But.. lots of people up there (especially unwed teenage mothers) will need those Permanent Fund Dividend checks since SaraH has cut so many social programs..

Why do I get a feeling that $3269 a year goes to support a meth habit than it does go to buying big screen tv's? Oh I don't know, Maybe it has something to do with Wassila being a big meth capital of Alaska.

• Considering how much physical damage Alaskans are put to due to thinner ozone layers, low temperatures, weird seasonal timing, and especially the prolonged days of night/day, I'm actually glad that you are satisfied with just 3Gs.

how do i get a PFD? what the hell is a PFD?SARA is a hottie

No.