Rob R asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

How do Insects without ear hear sounds?

Does anyone know how do Insects without ear hear sounds? I need an answer in less than 5 minutes as I am in class now.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • JohnC
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Many insects can hear sounds but they do not hear in the same way as you or I. Cicadas have their hearing organs in their stomachs. Crickets have their hearing organs in their knees. Male mosquitoes hear with thousands of tiny hairs growing on their antennae.

Most insect do have ears. These "ears" are not ears as we know ears, but are the ear "drums" that sit on the surface of the body. There is no hole or ear flap as you are familiar with.

In many insects, the ability to hear is quit acute, because they need it to find a mate, like in Crickets, Cicadas, Katydids, Grasshoppers, etc. Next time you are spending a pleasant summer evening on your porch listening to the crickets chirping, remember they are not doing it for you, they are making this sound to attract a mate.

• 3 years ago

Can Insects Hear

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it's vibrations. Look at a spider, they can't hear sh*t (to my knowledge) and look at how skilled they are. To them we're Godzilla, even if WE were deaf, we'd know he's in the area.

• 1 decade ago

The antenas feel vibrations or something. But its' with the antennas for sure

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Purr..
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

they have, but the ear is not in the outside or visible like human or mammal.

• 1 decade ago

feel vibrations I guess

• 1 decade ago

feel the vibrations?

• 1 decade ago

what makes you think they can hear?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

....Erm? Don't they have antennae's, usually?

Depends on the bug...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.