Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

WEIRDEST ELVIS OCD STORY YOU'LL EVER HEAR? My sister is obsessed with Elvis which seems to border on insanity?

My sister's every waking thought revolves around Elvis. Almost everything in her room is covered in Elvis crap. She only watches Elvis's old movies and listen to his songs, she also only drinks out of an Elvis drinking glass. Is this a normal obsession for a thirteen year old girl? It's seems very unhealthy. She also owns several shirts that she is always wearing with Elvis's head on it. When she is home she only wears her Elvis scrub top that she has turned into her official set of pajamas? She also has a marriage portrait of Elvis and his wife next to her bed. She also cried more watching Elvis's funeral on DVD then her own grandfather's funeral. Please advise is she OCD or not?

• Satnin
    Best Answer

I'd get used to it big brother :)

I mean this seriously and sincerely.

My brother had to get used to it. It's normal and part of becoming a life-long Elvis fan. Every Elvis fan has been to that extreme. Hey - I once had to buy a stupid key chain because it had the name of "Hound Dog". I was a little younger than your sister at the time. Really - it's not unhealthy and It'll balance out, but get used to that room because it's never gonna change. :)

Elvis fans are a unique breed and it's really hard to explain. Elvis fans know how unique they are, how being a fan is so much different than being a fan of anyone else. They know what Elvis means to them and other Elvis fans, we have a bond but to try to explain this to someone who doesn't understand this and isn't an Elvis fan, is impossible - honestly. We collect and every Elvis fan collects different things. Right now, she's collecting everything and anything of Elvis for two reasons, she's 13....and it's all new to her, she trying to learn about Elvis, understand what he's like. I've been a fan long enough where I have learned what it's like to be an Elvis fan and what it means to be an Elvis fan and Elvis means to me and that's what your sister is trying to do, learn how to be a true Elvis fan and what Elvis truly means to her. I know it all sounds crazy, but it's so true. Elvis fans want the best for him, he's like a family member to us.

I know you're probaby rolling your eyes at me now, my brother did for awhile, but then he saw me cry as we toured Graceland for the very first time. He finally knew what Elvis meant to me. I can't watch his funeral on TV, without crying, I can't walk past his grave, without crying. As for your Grandfather's funeral, I don't mean any disrepect, but she didn't understand it. She didn't understand why he died. My grandma died earlier this year and I didn't cry right away because it's the first time anyone close to me has died. I didn't know what to think, it's wasn't until the funeral that I started really crying, but I understood things that your sister may not have. With Elvis, right now, I don't think she understands why she's crying, it's just a reaction to everyone else crying in these DVD's and seeing Elvis in a casket. That's hard enough. I think she's crying more because he's gone and she never got to see him. In time there'll be reason behind her tears. Another thing to get used to is 'happy tears' because I'll go to Graceland and cry at the enormous amount of love and feeling of knowing that Elvis means so much to so many.

I'm sitting here giving you this big huge explanation and any Elvis fan will understand what I'm trying to say, I hope you do, even if just a little bit. In time you will understand. It's normal, she's 13, she's becoming a life-long Elvis fan and she's new to it. Just think about anything you have been new too. We go overboard at the beginning, but we balance out.

Well, right here goes my takes. It's all in regards to the track scene in each eras. In the 50s, there weren't that many artists and all, and commercialization wasn't there, so whoever managed to steal the souls of listeners in the 50s and 60s were those who nailed the #1 hits. Now although, radio stations are managed with the aid of commerical pursuits, they usually maintain pushing out some thing they believe sells. Become aware of that in the ancient days, songs could just be #1 for a few weeks, but now, considering of commercial interests, they only shove just a few songs into rotations and in turn...Increase, they keep #1 for therefore rattling long...You get much less #1 singles each and every 12 months at present than again in the historical days. You additionally seem to get less form...Here are the last 5 hits on the billboards that may be considered as rock music: July 28, 2007 - undeniable White T's - whats up There Deliah may 12, 2007 - Maroon 5 - Makes Me marvel December 22, 2001 - Nickelback - how you remind me November eleven, 2000 - Creed - With arms huge Open July 22, 2000 - Matchbox 20 - Bent There used to be a 5-6 yr hole between Nickelback and Maroon 5. The billboard charts only care now about either pop, hip-hop, or R&B. The environments have modified, and in fact gotten worse. The rock from Elvis and others will by no means have a shot here and most depend on the alt-rock/emoish/inidish contemporary Rock Tracks or the put up-grungy/tough rocky/metaly Mainstream Rock Tracks in the event that they want to get a #1 hit...Or go into deep pop rock for a shot. It sucks now...We nonetheless supply credit to Elvis although for revolutionizing rock and gaining probably the most number of #1 singles in a short time interval.

• Miss M

Not OCD, but definately something is off.

Then again, she's thirteen, and that's a really crazy stage in some peoples' lives. Maybe Elvis is the only thing that's stable right now.

If it continues, though, you could take her to a child psychologist..